Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Wi-fi connects, disconnects, then doesn't let me back on  (Read 2859 times)

paulcuthbert86

HELP! Wi-fi connects, disconnects, then doesn't let me back on
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
It used to work fine, but my laptop now connects to whatever wireless network i'm using, then sometimes disconnects. It's usually if a page is taking a long time to load, it knocks off my connection- which i can't get back unless i restart the laptop. To get the internet now, i have to run my laptop off the LAN cable direct from the router- at least it doesn't disconnect that way.

Any ideas on a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated- cheers!

lostcoast

Hopeful
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HELP! Wi-fi connects, disconnects, then doesn't let me back on
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:59:43 PM »
1st thing is to look for a newer driver for the wireless device online at the manufactures site and install it.  Remove any unneeded networks from the usable list and make sure yours is set to default (only connect to) if that is the correct term. You may also want to change the wireless channel around and see if another one works any better.

would it happen to be a Linksys router?

unplugging for a second and or resetting the router may also help

I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.