Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: memtest86 strange errors  (Read 8066 times)

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
    memtest86 strange errors
    « on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
    Hello Computer Hope, Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

My new computer was having issues with freezing randomly (i.e. with no repeatability) and sometimes would come back from sleep with no video output.  Anyway I decided to run memtest86 to check for problems.

Here is the Issue:

Running Memtest with both memory modules produces strange memtest errors in test 3,4 and 6.  At 61% of test 3 the tests is halted and a report comes up detailing the found errors.  It claims to find 32 bits in error, with max contiguous errors as 1.  The strange part is, on the side under bits in error for test 3, the number keeps changing.  It continuously cycles from 1 to 32766. (which is 2 less than 2^15 which makes me think it is continuously summing in a 16bit register, and then rolling over.)

This is not the main issue however.  I decided to put the memory in different slots on the motherboard, so I moved the RAM to slot 2 and 4 and ran the test again.  I got the same results, meaning it is probably the memory.  So to figure out which module it is, I put only one stick in slot 1 and repeated the test.  I got the same results.  At this point I thought I had figured out the problem.  However to be sure, I put the other stick in slot 1 and ran the test again.  Again I got the same results.

So, Could both modules be bad In the exact same way?  If the problem is the motherboard, why did I get the same errors in every different RAM slot?  Could the problem be the CPU?

Than you again for reading this lengthy post.

Here are my system stats:

***CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 @ 1066MHz

MSI P43 Neo-F LGA ATX motherboard
    GeForce 9800 GX2 PCI-X 2.0 GPU
    RAIDMAX RX-630SS 630W PSU
    Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
    SAMSUNG 750GB @ 7200RPM
    Vista Home Ultimate

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: memtest86 strange errors
      « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
      that board only supports DDR2-800 memory doesn't it???

anyway try lowering the FSB memory speed....see what happens

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
        I looked up the motherboard,  MSI site says it supports DDR2 667/800/1066
        http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=&prod_no=1483#menu

I just tried a 800MHz clock, and got a very similar error, this time the test was halted at 15%.

I have another computer with DDR2, My next course of action is going to be trying the possibly bad RAM in my other system to see if it still produces errors.

If anyone has any insight into this sort of issue, feel free to offer advice.
        Thank you again.

and Thanks for the response fgdn17 :)
        « Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:38:33 AM by swimstud »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
        Did you consult the MBoard manual for instructions on running 1066 in there ? ?
        On most boards it's not simply a matter of plugging the sticks in and firing it up.

For example for my ASUS board there are 4 pages of instructions illustrating the different combinations and settings to run 1066 natively...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
          Here is an update:

I ran Memtest on my second system, and it produced no errors.  So I switched the RAM from the two systems and ran Memtest on both.  The MSI P43 Neo-F failed again in the exact same way with the good RAM modules from my second computer, and my second computer pass the Memtest with the supposedly bad ram.

Thus It must be either the motherboard or the CPU.  I'm leaning toward Motherboard due to the nature of the problem.  Are there any additional tests I can do to verify which it is?

Thank you for your response patio.
          I downloaded the most recent Mboard Manual from the MSI site.  There is no information given about special actions that need to be taken in order to support 1066. 

here is all the information I could find relating to 1066 in the manual:

Supported FSB
          - 1600*(OC)/ 1333/ 1066/ 800 MHz

Memory Support
          - 4 DDR2 DIMMs support DDR2 1066**(OC)/ 800/ 667 SDRAM
          (240pin / 1.8V / 16GB Max)
          (**For more information on compatible components, please visit
          http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=testreport)

I looked at the supported memory list and my RAM is not on it, but no suppored moduals are listed @ PC2 8500.  Here is the link to the supported memory: http://global.msi.com.tw/uploads/test_report/TR10_1483.pdf

Thanks again

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
            I looked up the motherboard,  MSI site says it supports DDR2 667/800/1066
            http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=&prod_no=1483#menu

I just tried a 800MHz clock, and got a very similar error, this time the test was halted at 15%.

I have another computer with DDR2, My next course of action is going to be trying the possibly bad RAM in my other system to see if it still produces errors.

If anyone has any insight into this sort of issue, feel free to offer advice.
            Thank you again.

and Thanks for the response fgdn17 :)

I must have looked in the wrong place...thought it said supported up to ddr2 800...my misread

sorry..

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
              no, seriously I appreciate your help.  It was worth looking into to be sure.

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:59:34 PM »
                does anyone else have an idea as to what could be wrong?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
                The link supplied gives no info...and i can't see your MBoard manual from here.
                Your RAM is not supported...you may be out of luck. A few bucks more you could have picked one vendor from their list.

I spent extra to get OCZ RAM on my new build because it was an approved Vendor...no issues.

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »
                  I didn't link the manual directly, sorry.
                  You can find it by following the motherboard link I posted, and clicking "Manual" in the upper left hand corner of the page, or by following this link: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=6789&type=manual

I realize my RAM is not directly tested, and guaranteed by the motherboard manufacturer, but according to the supporded RAM page I linked (http://global.msi.com.tw/uploads/test_report/TR10_1483.pdf) no RAM at 1066 has been tested, even though the motherboard explicitly states that it supports DDR II at that frequency.

I guess what I am saying is, the RAM produced no errors in a much older system which does not even support DDR II 1066, and different RAM placed in the MSI motherboard produced the exact same errors as the supposedly unsupported RAM.  Thus I am lead to believe that there is an issue with either the motherboard or CPU.

Does anyone have any insight as to which it is more likely to be, so I can get a new part, or if I am missing something, let me know.   :)

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
                  Check MemTest's site and see if the test supports 1066...i haven't needed to run it on mine yet.

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »
                    I read the majority of the memtest86 site, and can find no reference to memory supported.
                    There is some information about CPU in the change log, but that's about it.

I am going to download Memtest86+ and see if it produces a similar error.

Thanks for your continued support patio, I'll get back to you with the results tomorrow.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »
                    I'm suprised MSI did no testing...they are really cutting back there i guess.
                    ASUS stated all 1066's on their APV were tested.
                    Keep in mind it's still fairly new...although they've had plenty of time to test up til now.

swimstud

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
                      Quick update:

Memtest86+ has more information filled in for the processor than Memtest86
                      It was able to determine the L2 and L3 cache sizes, the processor chipset, and the ram configuration with timings, all of which were missing with Memtest86.

Just as I was typing this, test 4 froze @ 48% and has been there for at least 4 min.  I think that is a bad sign.  The screen is still updating, because I can see the "Memtest" logo still blinking in the corner of the screen, but everything else is stuck.

I am going to let it run overnight to get the full results.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
                      Let us know.
                      In the AM you will have to run one stik at a time to see which one is bad.
                      Corsair has been decent to me in the past on RMA's but try from the vendor first.