Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disable Mouse on laptop  (Read 3713 times)

gjohnston

Disable Mouse on laptop
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
I am using Windows XP, laptop is ITC:
I am having trouble disabling the mouse on the laptop. I have tried going through the Control Panel. I.e: Control Panel - Mouse - Hardware - Properties, however under the selection for the laptop mouse, the disable property is not highlighted. It is highlighted for the external USB mouse which I can disable, just not the laptop mouse. Any suggestions, most appreciated!!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Disable Mouse on laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
Disable USB mouse....why not unplug it?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:09:53 AM »
Carbon, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.
What gjohnston is saying is that they can only disable the USB mouse, not the laptop's touchpad, I think.
gjohnston, that's not a good way to disable the laptop pad anyway, because you may well need to use it some day.  Look for any options under Control Panel/Mouse or Synaptics that let you disable the mouse.  Unfortunately this feature is not available on all laptops.
If you can't find it, please post the full make/model number of the laptop and we'll try and help you find out how to do it.

Welcome to the forums.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
    The OP will need to download the Synaptics (or whatever manufacturer) touchpad utility from his laptop manufactuer's website.  From there, open the utility and find an option that says something like "Disable touchpad when USB mouse is plugged in."

Alternatively, there might be something like that in the BIOS.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.