Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I lost sound and have a funky display/font  (Read 2552 times)

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I lost sound and have a funky display/font
    « on: December 01, 2008, 03:26:37 AM »
    I think its because I did something to the registry but not sure.  I recently had the antivirus pro 2009 virus and managed to get rid of it, I think.  While in the registry I clicked "modify" after right clicking on one of the registrys.  I thought it would give me more options, as I was only curious to see what the modify function would do.  Well right after that the display changed.  On the desktop all the icons are taller and more narrow.  The font changed and is now smaller and harder to read.  If I up the resolution it gets harder to read.  I noticed later that I also have no audio.  Pretty sure its related.  No system sound or device sound.  I dont remember where in the registry I was but the file name had a few initials( I forget what) then the number 6 service pack 2.   It read   _____6 service pack 2.  It was not internet explorer 6 service pack 2 or at least thats not what it read.  I have since reinstalled service pack 2 and 3 but that did not help my problem.  It may be virus related but I dont thik so.  Malewarebytes, superantispyware, and mccafee scans all say I'm clean.  Any help or push in the right direction appreciated.  I need some audio.

Ashutosh32

Intermediate

• Yes
      • Google
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I lost sound and have a funky display/font
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
    What OS, add some other information.

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
      Its a dell 4550  Windows xp 2002 home version service pack 3 pentium 4,  256ram

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »
        obviously happy to provide any other info needed, please let me know. 

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
          Just still looking for some help/advice/direction on this issue.  Been like this over a week now.  Have no idea how to fix this.  Would reinstalling xp do anything for this issue.

infiltrator

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »
            Not sure how to fix it, but just wanted to comment by saying, if you do Re-install Windows, it will be fixed, but all your programs will be lost.

If you don't have many important things on your computer, you might just want to do that.

PS, get some more RAM and you will watch your computer speed up significantly.
            On an old computer of mine I had 256, and made it a Gig completely, and lets just say I was very surprised with the results... ;D

If not, search for something that checks/fixes your registry. Maybe the sound is related to your drivers? Maybe try to reinstall them? Just a thought, I am no expert, but hate to see a thread unanswered...

infiltrator

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
              Actually, try a program called CCleaner. Works great...

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
                I will try that.  Also I ordered another 512 of ram today.  If I wasent broke and laidoff I would have just gotton two and called it a day, maybe later. 
                  I dont have my xp cd and do have alot of stuff but it may be an only option for me as I am not that hot on computers.  I tried uninstalling the audio driver and never got a responce so not sure if it worked or not.  Went to install new driver from the emu site and I was getting errors when trying to download.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
                You can borrow an XP CD from anyone you know to facilitate repairs and you won't be violating any liscensing laws to do so...
                The Version and installed Service Packs have to match however...i.e. if you are running XPPro w/SP2 that's the CD you need.

This is assuming you're legit to begin with.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »
                  thanks for the info.  Not my first option however.  Would like to just fix the problem if thats possible,

abrahamx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »
                    Finally able to locate both drivers on cd and problem fixed.  Thanks for all replies.