Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop CD used as an external ?  (Read 2748 times)

Bikerred

Topic Starter

Starter

Desktop CD used as an external ?
    « on: December 08, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
    Can I use the CD drive in my Desktop computer as an external drive to load programs on my laptop computer?  If so, how??? or can you refer me to printed instructions?? 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Desktop CD used as an external ?
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
    Depends on laptops age and OS... If your laptop is Windows 98 SE * or newer with USB ports you can use a IDE to USB cable to plug your CD Rom into the USB port of the laptop, but you will also need a power source for the drive. It would be easier to not use that drive from the desktop but to buy a new external CD Rom drive for around $40 or so.

* Windows 98 has very limited USB drive interface support.

All newer OS should mount without a problem.

*** If you need to use this drive at boot to install a clean install of OS your BIOS will have to be new enough to support booting via USB.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
    I've had success with enclosures designed for hard drives; main problem is it's not really that neat; I had to disassemble the enclosure and use it while it was open. Not a long term or portable solution.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Bikerred

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »
      Thanks for the prompt reply... The OS on the laptop is Windows XP Home... the OS on the desktop is Windows Vista Home Premium.....
      I will take your advice and jts get an inexpensive external CD drive....  Thanks again...