Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is sooo slow and...  (Read 2938 times)

shinmeeok

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer is sooo slow and...
    « on: December 02, 2008, 11:07:31 AM »
    My Acer Notebook Aspire 5100-3949 wireless internet is so slow.  A member here told me about ccleaner and I tried it.  It is not done by what I see I cleaned and analyzed and it still doesn't say it's done.  As I type it hesitates and it's hard to get my message out without waiting and alot of frustration.  I live right off I-95 on the east coast so I should get a better signal.  It says five bars and I have AT&T wireless internet.  Someone said to get more RAM.  How much is it to get more RAM?  I don't have a toolbar on the top, and I have Yahoo not Google, could that be it?  I get on the internet through my Yahoo Messenger and sometimes the IE Shortcut.  Vista must have alot of issues I see it on the commercials and I've had some issues I thought I had fixed but I guess not because I am asking for some insight now.  Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer is sooo slow and...
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:58:35 AM »
    Are you saying CCleaner did not complete it's scan? 

Per http://www.bizrate.com/laptopcomputers/acer-aspire-5100-3949-2.0-ghz-amd-turion-64-laptop--pid653137864/, you have 1GB of RAM.  Yes, experienced Vista users usually recommend 2GB for Vista.  I've been using my Compaq Presario notebook PC with Vista Home Premium since July 2007, with 1GB of memory and find it runs OK for web surfing, email, and MS Office applications open simultaneously.

But, one thing you can do to improve performance with your current amount of memory is to review what software Acer installed that may be running in the background and consuming system resources.  All the manufacturers install a lot of extra software on new systems that most users don't need and that can degrade performance.

But, again, no doubt about it, adding RAM would make a difference.  2GB of Kingston would cost $44.  See KAC-MEME/1G

In addition to CCleaner, you might use PC Decrapifier to help get rid of some unnecessary Acer stuff. 

What protection programs (virus, spyware, firewall) are you using?

shinmeeok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »
      Yes the scan didn't say it was finished, and also I have Norton Internet Security and Spy Sweeper and Scotty the Watchdog, and Windows Defender.  Where can I get the RAM at again, you didn't say. Thanks.

shinmeeok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
        So with the decrapifier I have to do it manually.  I don't know half of what Acer has in there that is important.  I don't want to risk taking something important out.