Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, my PC has fallen and it can't get up!!!  (Read 6758 times)

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

Help, my PC has fallen and it can't get up!!!
    « on: December 02, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
    /////A couple of days ago, i was sitting in my room, and i made a mistake.  The power strip that my pc was connected to was sitting there on my floor, and i decided to play a little SuperNES.  So without really thinking about it, I plugged my Television, and console into the strip and turned it on.  I played through approximately five or six levels of Super Mario World(around 15-20 minutes), and all of the sudden, the strip tripped, and my TV, SuperNES, computer, monitor, and speakers all shut off at once.  At first, i thought i tripped a breaker, but i could turn my light on, and everything else was fine.  I looked down at the strip and noticed the little breaker switch was now in the "off" position.  So, after all of this, i flicked the switch to "reset" and everything came back on.

/////I immeadiately unplugged my TV and SuperNES, so now all that was plugged in was my PC and accoutraments, naturally, thats what i was worried about most.  I then hit the power button, and the system booted.  It got to the Windows loading screen(you know, the window that comes up right before it shows user login.), and then, no power off, no surge, the thing just reverted back to the beggining as if i had restarted it altogether.  It then brought up the screen, the window's name escapes me, where it gives you the option to boot another OS, start in safe mode, start system normally, or revert to last working settings.

/////No matter what i choose, they all do the same thing.  It gets to the loading screen, then reverts to the biggining, and starts all over again.  Its rather annoying, and with all the success i'd found through computer hope in the past, i thought this is the place to find out what the heck is going on.  If you have any ideas, or solutions, please dont hold back, let em flow.

Thanks much, i really do appreciate it.

-X-

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help, my PC has fallen and it can't get up!!!
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
    try plugging the computer directly into the wall and see if it boots. If so- replace the power strip.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »
      /////Yeah, thats a no-go.  I just plugged it directly into the wall, and it relpeated the habbit.  Any other ideas?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
      I'm not familiar with Vista boot options- but is there one like "disable automatic restart on system failure" or something similar? If so- give it a try.

Sounds like you might be getting a BSOD halfway through the boot- likely indicating a problem with the disk.

Also- do you have a Windows CD?

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
        /////O.K., i did what you said.  I found the option to disable automatic restart.  It went through the normal procedure and got to the Xp loading screen and just as you said, i go the Blue Screen of Death... : (  I cant find my windows disc anywhere, but ill keep looking.

/////So now i know there is definately something wrong as conveyed by the BSOD.  What are my options here?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
        can you tell us what the BSOD said (not the generic "assistance text"

the filename and the arguments, and error code are crucial.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
          /////Alright, since you sent that last message, i have been working like no other trying to get that blasted BSOD to appear again.  Last time, all i had to do was turn off the auto restart on failure.  I've gone into the settings, and it still shows that the option is off, and i cant get the screen up.

/////I have no other ideas of how to get it to appear and i am ay my wits end.  Ill keep trying, maybe something will happen, but till then, stick with me.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
            /////Success! O.K., ironically, while sending the previous, the screen came up and when i returned, i noted the information.  The BSOD said exactly this(with exeption to that you computer hiccuped stuff):

Your computer has encountered an error and has shut down to prevent damage.

Uninstall/Disable any anti-virus, disc defragmentation, or backup utilities.  Check drive configuration and any updated drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption, then restart.

Tech. Information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82539A98, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Thats everything. What do you make of it?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
            0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
            (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
            A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

I'd start with running chkdsk /r
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
            Ah ha! I knew it! the NTFS file system BSOD...

As patio said- run chkdsk /r you will need to either boot into recovery console or (if your system can boot occasionally) try to run it from windows- then follow the prompts until it asks you to schedule for the next boot, to which you say yes.

reboot, and hopefully once the chkdsk finishes, you won't have the problem anymore.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
              /////O.K., how exactly do i run the CHKDSK if it wont boot to desktop?  Is there a function key(although ive hit just about every one) that allows this or what?  Sorry for this seemingly noob question, but i haven't a clue.

JJ 3000

Egghead
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
              You need the windows cd
              Save a Life!
              Adopt a homeless pet.
              http://www.petfinder.com/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
              yes- you will need a windows CD, which I queried before.

By which we do NOT mean a System recovery CD.

the Windows CD will allow you to boot into recovery console. Recovery console can then be used to execute chkdsk.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
                /////Alrighty, im on it.  Give me some time to find that damned CD, and ill report back ASAP.

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
                  /////Wow, ok, its been almost a month, and im almost insane.  I finally got my hands on a recovery cd and i have more bad news.  Ill run you through what i see:

I boot up my PC, and with the cd in, i change the cd drive to first boot.  CD boots and and i recieve the Windows Setup screen.  The screen is blue, Windows Setup is read across the top and a grey bar at the bottom reads- Setup is loading files  In parenthesis, several filenames flash by as it says.  Finally, it says "Setup is starting Windows". 

The new screen reads "Windows XP Home Edition Setup".
                  Underneath says- This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP to run on your computer

Three bullets under that say:
                  -To set up Windows XP press Enter
                  -TO repair Windows XP using recovery console, press R
                  -To Quit Setup without installation, press F3

You informed me that i needed to run CHKDSK, so i thought, "Ok, i need to press 'r' to repair." I do it and it prompts me saying something to the extent of "There is no hard disk on this comoputer try re hooking it up blah blah blah RESTARTING."

No beans, so i try the first option, seting up Windows XP.  Same thing, no hard disk... im gonna try unplugging and plugging to make sure everythings good, but yeah, thats where im at.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
                  I thought this machine was running Vista...
                  What exactly does it say on this recovery CD ? ?
                  If it is an OEM CD this is not going to work...
                  Stop now before you wipe everything out.

hopelesscase

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
                    I had the same problem with my desktop (getting to the windows screen before the log in screen and then restarting itself).... being the novice that I am (this was also before I had stumbled upon this website), i took it to a shop to get fixed and was told it was probably a virus and the guy had had a few clients with the same problem.  Have never had to have a pc fixed before, and am so hopeless with even the most basic of functions that I just took his word for it that it was a virus and forked out the $160 to pay for it.  Computer runs slowly, it's on xp and is quite a basic model, but maybe it was like that before as while it was getting fixed we bought a laptop and i'm now more accustomed to a faster running computer. Funny thing is though, prior to our old desktop restarting itself when it reached the windows screen, we'd had a few powercut's where pc was cut off mid-use.  Just thought there were a couple of similarities between our problems, and am curious as to what others think regarding the virus diagnosis

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »
                      No No No. I dislike Vista. My operating system is Windows XP. THe recovery disc reads Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Includes Service Pack 2. Version 2002.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
                      Then continue with the XP install and see if it detects the drive,
                      If not you may have to pull the drive and set it up as a slave in another machine to run chkdsk /r.
                      Have you considered a new drive ? ?

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 06:13:42 AM »
                        Well see, thats the thing.  This isn't some old pc thats been sitting in my grandma's basement, this is new, like no  more than a year old.  I never had problems with it, it was increadibly fast, top of the line graphics card, home built by my best friend's father.  I run the disc, and thats where i hit the roadblock.

The only three options it gives me is to A) Repair, B) Install XP, and C) Quit Program. When i run the first two, it gives me the same screen basically telling me that i dont have a hard drive installed in the computer.  Obviously there is, its connected properly, but the setup disc tells me otherwise.

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »
                        The age of the machine is irrelevant...if the HDD is having issues then they need to be addressed.
                        Double check all the connections once again and if it still is not detected you will have to use the procedure i outlined above.
                        I've seen drives fail 3 weeks after they came out of the box.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:34 PM »
                        If the machine is no more then a year old, is the hard Drive SATA?

if so, try changing the SATA option in your BIOS from "AHCI" to "compatibility".

X the Eliminator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
                          /////Ok, i do not think the drive is SATA.  Ive gone into BIOS and there is no mention of SATA. I can enter setup, and for some strange reason, it gives me the option to f8 system configuration, but when i press it, nothing happens.  I can press f9 for boot menu.  DEL for setup. But no f8 command.

/////Still, i couldnt do perform the AHCI to compatability switch as you instructed for a SATA drive, so i do not think it applies.  That is where i stand right now.  Any other ideas?