Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: transfer operating systems.  (Read 2878 times)

parkinson40

Topic Starter

Rookie

transfer operating systems.
    « on: December 11, 2008, 03:31:15 AM »
    Hi
    I have an old pc with windows 2000 on it.I have been given a laptop.Can you transfer(without loosing the original machine) the operating system form one to another.
    The 2000 was input using a disc.However we cannot find the disk.
    The laptop is also password locked (it was an old work pc) can you reformat the machine without opening the system in it?

The computer has an operating system in it if I can't transfer does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the password screen? the machine boots up an goes to the previous owners log in screen? He has disappeared into the mist!

Thank you
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:43:15 AM by parkinson40 »

alan1000

Rookie

Re: transfer operating systems.
      « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »
      The password problem cannot be resolved unless you tell us what is the brand of the machine and what is the level of the password.  If it's a Windows password, you can lose it by reformatting the drive.  If it's a BIOS password, software is available on the net which will clear it by resetting the BIOS to default parameters.  However, if it's (for example) the Compaq proprietary hard drive password, there is no way to bypass it;  the hard drive is junk, and you will need to instal a new one.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:35:31 AM »

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:56:26 AM »
      parkinson40 already asked about this in another thread, and got it answered.