Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Card/Driver Issue  (Read 3753 times)

jondunc

Topic Starter

Starter

Network Card/Driver Issue
    « on: June 18, 2008, 07:08:19 AM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 4700 running XP Home 2002 SP 2. I am experiencing difficulty with my Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection. It is currently displaying a yellow exclamation point in device manager. This problem occurred suddenly after a loss in power due to a storm. So far, I have tried the following:

* Uninstalled the driver and reinstalled from within the system.
    * Uninstalled the driver and reinstalled Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Desktop Adapter (the Intel site says this contains the necessary driver for the Network Connection).
    * Left the "broken" driver installed and used the previously mentioned Desktop Adapter to try and repair it.
    * Used system restore to try to bring the system back to its proper state.
    * Used Dell Driver Reset Tool  to repair the driver.
    * Uninstalled driver and reinstalled Dell driver.
    * Uninstalled driver and reinstalled another generic Intel driver.
    * Searched this forum for similar problems, and reset the stack and winsock.
    * Tried to get more information from ipconfig /all, but all it would say is:
    Windows IP Configuration

So far, each step has resulted in the same error: 10, unable to start.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to solve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

piaaz

Rookie

Re: Network Card/Driver Issue
      « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »
      This problem occurred suddenly after a loss in power due to a storm.

You have done all the stuff that I would suggest with the same network card.......since this happened after the storm, it could simply be fact that the NIC is shot ! have you tried any other NIC.

I believe Dell Demension has on-board NIC so you would want to disable the on-board NIC in BIOS before you put a new NIC in it.

Cheers

jondunc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »
        Thanks for your reply. Is there a website or tutorial of some sort that could walk me through replacing the NIC?

whansen02

Greenhorn
          « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
          any luck yet???
          Have you contacted Dell tech support for their services?
          I use HP, but I've received valuable support from them, so Dell would probably be a good resource for support as well.
          Will
          ccna certification training kits

jondunc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
            I did contact Dell, but they wanted $40 just to talk to me since my warranty is expired.  :-\ I'm a bit leery of the NIC replacement, so I've chickened out while I plan my next move. Hopefully this is the issue and I can finally get this solved. Thanks to everyone here for their help.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »

whansen02

Greenhorn
              « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
              I did contact Dell, but they wanted $40 just to talk to me since my warranty is expired.  :-\ I'm a bit leery of the NIC replacement, so I've chickened out while I plan my next move. Hopefully this is the issue and I can finally get this solved. Thanks to everyone here for their help.
              Sorry to hear they wanted $40 just to talk to you because of the warranty being expired. I sure don't like the sounds of that.
              ccna certification training kits

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
              whansen02, I believe this party ended about 5 1/2 months ago.  ::)