Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer-deleting document in queue  (Read 7392 times)

nelson7754

printer-deleting document in queue
« on: April 03, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »
I have an hp deskjet 3320. It shows 1 document in queue that I cannot get to delete.  The status shows deleting- paused- printing, but I don't have it paused. Cancelling won't work. If I have 5 documents in queue, I can get them all to delete but the one at the top of the list. I have even tried uninstalling the printer software and reinstalling. I cannot use the printer when this happens and I can't put my computer on standby when this happens. It says to stop the printer spool, and I can't figure how to do that. unplugging the printer has helped, but I can't unplug the printer every time this happens, which is alot. please help.

gussery

Re: printer-deleting document in queue
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 01:19:07 PM »
Sounds like your print spooler is hanging.
To restart a print spooler on Windows 2000 or XP, go to
Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.  Scroll through the list until you find Print Spooler, right click it, and choose restart from the resulting menu.

To restart a print spooler on Windows 3.x, 95 or 98, reboot.

You may want to try to uninstall your printer drivers and reinstall them, ensuring you use the latest drivers from HP's site.  If this does not solve your problem you are into the repair the OS, repair the printer, areas.

nelson7754

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't mention I do have XP. One thing though, on mine, after going through control panel, I then had to go through performance and maintenance, then to administative tools. Anyway it did work. One more question.  It says you can either restart or stop the service for print spooler. What would happen if I hit the stop? Thank you very much. I couldn't find print spooler ANYWHERE before.

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
If you stop it, then nothing will print until you start it, or reboot your computer (which starts it).  A restart is just Windows doing a stop and start for you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 02:28:45 PM by gussery »

nelson7754

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 02:29:57 PM »
Don't want to do that then Thank you very much for your help.