Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Better way to open Windows Task Manager???  (Read 3122 times)

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

Better way to open Windows Task Manager???
    « on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:50 PM »
    I'm looking for a better way to open Windows XP Windows task manager. The ctrl-alt-del is too cumbersome requireing two hands and for me to remove one hand from the mouse. I'd like a shortcut in the on the desktop or quicklaunchbar.

Is this possible??

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Better way to open Windows Task Manager???
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »
    It sure is! All you need to do, is create a shortcut on your desktop; point it to taskmgr.exe

Then; it you would like it in your quick-launch bar, you can simply drag it there. Quick and painless! ;D
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »
    Plus too - add the shortcut to start up folder and it'll come up at boot if you want it handy.

I run a very shrunk TM tucked at top corner of my 2nd monitor - just to keep an eye on CPU activity - and it can always stay minimized anyways if need be.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
      Now that you describe the "How-To" I now think how silly I was not to have known. Every time I invoke task manager with ctrl-alt-del, taskmgr.exe shows up in the list! Duh! brain-gas...

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to find the exe in:
      Code: [Select]
      C:\WINDOWS\System32
      For some reason, though, find files/folders did not pick it up. Is there a reason for this? ....and a fix!!

Thanks

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
        I always right click on the task bar, then select Task Manger (second from the bottom

Regards
        Alan

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
          I always right click on the task bar, then select Task Manger (second from the bottom

Regards
          Alan

An already simple solution without any work. Nice!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
          For some reason, though, find files/folders did not pick it up. Is there a reason for this? ....and a fix!!
          No fix. This is how crappy Windows search is.
          I use SuperFinder (free): http://freewarewiki.com/SuperFinder. It installs under right click menu.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
          I used to use a program I made when I first started using XP, I HATED... Hate, actually, the search interface used by Explorer aww, look at the cute little puppy! I want to find files darn it! annoying to navigate.

Anyway- so as a demonstration of my File Handling Library I wrote in Visual Basic, I duplicated the Find Tool from Win98 (the interface and so forth)

it worked GREAT; but there were incompatibilities with the code and XP; mostly oriented towards my extraction of file icons and alpha channels; other then that it worked great.

But; my flash drive failed, and I accidentally sent a CD RW drives BIOS flash to the hard drive I was using to store data; strangely reduced it's total capacity by 2GB (from only 4GB) and made it's contents unreadable.

VERY bad point in my coding history.

And that is why I can't use it anymore, it's almost as if it never existed...

I rewrote, or am rewriting the libraries I lost, and then my major apps; this time I get to rearchitecture them to try to solve problems I had coding them before.

wow.

all that about a find tool.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »
            No fix. This is how crappy Windows search is.
            I use SuperFinder (free): http://freewarewiki.com/SuperFinder. It installs under right click menu.

SuperFinder did locate the taskmgr.exe file and looks like a nice program, however, if failed to list the three partitions of my hard drive as default search locations.

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
              I used to use a program I made when I first started using XP, I HATED... Hate, actually, the search interface used by Explorer aww, look at the cute little puppy! I want to find files darn it! annoying to navigate.

Anyway- so as a demonstration of my File Handling Library I wrote in Visual Basic, I duplicated the Find Tool from Win98 (the interface and so forth)

it worked GREAT; but there were incompatibilities with the code and XP; mostly oriented towards my extraction of file icons and alpha channels; other then that it worked great.

But; my flash drive failed, and I accidentally sent a CD RW drives BIOS flash to the hard drive I was using to store data; strangely reduced it's total capacity by 2GB (from only 4GB) and made it's contents unreadable.

VERY bad point in my coding history.

And that is why I can't use it anymore, it's almost as if it never existed...

I rewrote, or am rewriting the libraries I lost, and then my major apps; this time I get to rearchitecture them to try to solve problems I had coding them before.

wow.

all that about a find tool.

Yes, ALL THAT ABOUT A FIND TOOL.  But I have to admit, I did read it all and enjoyed the story.

Just one thing....don't ask me to be a beta-tester with the new code you write!!!!! I already have $1,000.00
              of a dead HDD I need to save up for in order to retrieve the data.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »
              SuperFinder did locate the taskmgr.exe
              Make sure, under Advanced tab, all 4 boxes are checkmarked.

if failed to list the three partitions of my hard drive as default search locations
              It'll search one partition at a time.
              Right click on any partition, and you'll find SuperFinder option there.