Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.  (Read 28847 times)

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
    I'm using Windows XP Professional with SP3. My video card is a NVIDIA 9800GT, and it's been having BSODs related to nv4_disp.dll since I got it. The most common solution is to reinstall the drivers, and I've done it multiple times.
    I tried doing it again today, and my problem got worse - in addition to nv4_disp.dll BSODs, i've started getting lock ups, hang ups, and random restarts ingame. There are two potential causes that I can see: Last night, I automatically fine tuned my computer with the nTune program (performance in Nvidia control panel). It overclocked my [PCI-E something clock speed] 17% to around 2900. I also used Driver Cleaner to clean off my nvidia drivers, then I reinstalled my video drivers again. I've since clocked my computer's clock speed to what it was originally. However, that did not solve my problem, as the lock ups, hang ups, and random restarts still occurred.
    I then tried following the Driver Cleaner's instructions more precisely. First, I uninstalled my Nvidia Drivers from Add / Remove Programs (as I did before). When my computer restarted, it claimed it detected both a video controller and an Other PCI Bridge Device, but I choose not to automatically update drivers for either. At this point, I think my computer may have started to get random restarts even outside of playing games. Driver Cleaner's instructions then prompted me to start the computer in Safe Mode. I did this through msconfig. However, here's where my current problem is at:

Although I can get to the login screen and I get to the prompt that asks if I want to run in safe mode or go to system restore, my computer always restarts there. I've tried holding F8 and choosing last good configuration or perhaps another type of safe mode. Although I can get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu  http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm , as seen there, my computer does not register my pressing of the up and down keys. Thus, I am stuck - I can't get into the Windows OS past the login screen, and I can't choose to start up the computer in any alternate way.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »
    This is what I'd try...
    Turn off computer. Open the case, clean it well with compressed air.
    Reseat RAM, and video card. You may clean connectors with an eraser.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
      I'm using Windows XP Professional with SP3. My video card is a NVIDIA 9800GT, and it's been having BSODs related to nv4_disp.dll since I got it. The most common solution is to reinstall the drivers, and I've done it multiple times.
      I tried doing it again today, and my problem got worse - in addition to nv4_disp.dll BSODs, i've started getting lock ups, hang ups, and random restarts ingame. There are two potential causes that I can see: Last night, I automatically fine tuned my computer with the nTune program (performance in Nvidia control panel). It overclocked my [PCI-E something clock speed] 17% to around 2900.

This.

Your video card is overheating!

Clock that thing back to its defaults so you don't fry the dang thing!
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »
      I've since clocked my computer's clock speed to what it was originally

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
        Is it possible that my video card has already been damaged, and that my increased rate of errors is a consequence of that? And if it has been damaged, would it be covered by warranty? I think I recall nTune giving some warning, although I didn't pay enough attention to it.

I'll probably try cleaning up my computer's insides tomorrow if some other possible solution doesn't pop up. I'm getting pretty desperate.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
        As killerb255 said, it looked like overheating from the very beginning, and yes, the card may be damaged, but don't start crying yet :)
        Do the cleaning, and we'll see.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »
          Do you think it was overheating even from when I was having nv4_disp.dll? I was running a heat monitor a couple weeks ago, and the computer held a stable 72-73 C while running Call of Duty 4. However, I still had suspicion that it would spike up in heat shortly before crashing.

...And when you say to clean the connectors with an eraser, do you mean a literal eraser (as in the stuff used to erase pencil marks), or something else I'm unaware of?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
            This is what I'd try...
            Turn off computer. Open the case, clean it well with compressed air.
            Reseat RAM, and video card. You may clean connectors with an eraser.

Dont use an eraser if you attempt to do this.  Its well noted that it will leave behind parts of it.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »
              Ah, okay. So I should just take the ram and video card out and put it back in? Is this process analogous to taking out an old cartridge from Super Nintendo and blowing it?

Accessless

Adviser
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
              Ah, okay. So I should just take the ram and video card out and put it back in? Is this process analogous to taking out an old cartridge from Super Nintendo and blowing it?

Not unless you leave the pc on and try it (might pay off to earth yourself before hand though). That's why they built a cartridge lock into the SNES.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »
                thats not a good thing ether since.  when you blow your atucally removeing dust yes but your allowing the parts to age faster cause of small amounts of water an what not.
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
                  however reseting it should be okay or if you run an electric clear on the contacts.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »
                    Oh, I was just using the Super Nintendo example as an analogy. ;p

What exactly is an "electric clear on the contacts?"

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
                    Dont use an eraser if you attempt to do this.  Its well noted that it will leave behind parts of it.
                    Total nonsense. You can safely use pencil eraser.

he computer held a stable 72-73 C while running Call of Duty 4
                    Absolutely too high, unless it's laptop.
                    What processor is it?

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »
                      Here's a rundown of my parts:

Windows XP Professional with SP3
                      ABIT AN8 Ultra Motherboard
                      AMD Athlon Processor 3200+
                      600 Watt PSU
                      2 X 512MB DDR1 RAM
                      Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512MB