Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fans, heat, and weird noises.  (Read 2614 times)

notuslethe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Fans, heat, and weird noises.
« on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »
I have a Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8600 graphics card computer in a Smilodon Raidmax case, using Windows XP. I run CCleaner and SmartDefrag about once a week.

My fans have been acting strangely. I have four working (two on the side facing out, one on the processor, and one in the back). Recently, the back one has been making a strange sound (almost... growling? I can't describe it!) that last while it starts up for about five minutes after Windows loads, then stops, never heard until I turn the computer off and on again. All of the fans seem to be whirling happily, none of them are running into anything or making noise other than when I start the computer, and only the back fan.

I ignored this, thinking it was just some sort of glitch with the Smilodon case. Whatev - I can live with funky noise.

Then, suddenly, there is this steady beeping noise coming from the computer (not the speakers). It lasted about 1-2 minutes, about one beep a second. Freaking out, I Googled beeping and came up with something related to fans. I download SpeedFan. My GPU is around 124F, and one of my Core temps (the one the GeForce is taking) is also 124F. All other temps seem normal, including the temps taken by the processor (around 90F). None of the other temps are above 90F. All of the fans are still working normally, no noise from them.

Can someone help me figure out what is going on?

Also, I was watching a streaming video when the beeping happened. This is the first time it started beeping (I'm assuming it was a warning noise?), though I have watched streaming videos before. I don't game as much anymore, but when I did, neither the weird fan noise or the beeping presented itself.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Fans, heat, and weird noises.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 04:32:03 AM »
I would get an external house fan and let it blow at the opened case of the computer.

It is possible the motherboard was beeping because it was overheating.....or it could be something else, we can't tell yet.

none of them are running into anything or making noise other than when I start the computer, and only the back fan.
What exactly do you mean here? What's wrong with the back fan?

notuslethe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »
I just turned my computer on after a night of being off and it started up at 118F. Having used it for about 5 minutes, it rose to 120F. I don't think it should be that hot, right?

As for the fans, I meant that there is nothing obstructing their blades. The back fan makes that weird noise when I start it up, but otherwise, none of the fans make any sort of (unusual) noise.

I've only had this system since May of this year.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
Actually, it sounds like your fan is loose.

When you turn the computer on, try pressing down on the fan's housing to stop it from vibrating and see if the sound stops.