Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor not coming on after installing new cpu  (Read 2198 times)

gibson1389

Topic Starter

Monitor not coming on after installing new cpu
    « on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
    I just installed a Sempron 2600+ socket a 462 cpu in my computer running a ATX V2DP motherboard and my monitor light is not turning green. I have my monitor hooked up to onboard vga, but I have tried using a PCI graphincs card out of another computer and still nothing working. I have tried jumping the cmos like it says in tha manual. I even also put my old processor back in and its doing the same thing. The computer comes on fan runs, cd drives lights come on but thats it. I also checked to make sure that my motherboard would accept this processor and it does.  Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor not coming on after installing new cpu
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
    Doesnt sound good... Did you possibly damage the motherboard though this process by not handling the components in a static-free environment or ground yourself before working on this. A friend of mine blew his motherboard when he was swapping Ram and had a spark leap from his finger to a ram stick.

Also did you apply new thermal compound to the new CPU top before locking the fan/heatsink down to create thermal bond and avoid cooking the processor due to the lack of a thermal bond. Simply placing the heat sink from one CPU to the other is not enough, and can cause to cooked CPU and blown motherboard.

Did you swap the CPU and not move anything else around, or did you completely remove the motherboard from the case and then install it back after?

gibson1389

Topic Starter

Re: Monitor not coming on after installing new cpu
      « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:13 PM »
      I think I know what happened. I got some thermal paste on the pins on the CPU and did not realize I did until I removed it. I took a toothbrush and got it off of the CPU pins now but it still not working. I guess now my problem is that there is thermal paste in the pin holes on the MB. Is there anyway to repair this without buying a new MB?