Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista only occasionally starts - power supply fault?  (Read 10246 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Vista only occasionally starts - power supply fault?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
if the output of the 24-pin is still standard it is not proprietary, just cheap, even though they use two 24-pin power connections. If it has the same voltage specs in each and they both match a standard, one could theoretically use 2 PSU's of that standard to power the machine. Not exactly a space saving solution, though.

As the rebuttal to a comment by David marshall tries to redefine proprietary:

Their (Dell’s) stance was “we offered a PC that is stable, the upgradable options we shut down on the motherboard were done to insure that the PC will run to our specs” (read that as ‘proprietary’).

No- that isn't the definition of proprietary. If that was the definition, then the 486-SX was also "proprietary" since the FPU was disabled, but functioning. As well as the disabling of other features on countless other boards by other manufacturers, or the locking of CPU clock speeds.

However, in this case the fact that the Motherboard accepts two 24-pin power connectors, which to my knowledge meets no set standard (except- well two standard PSU's,assuming the voltages are the same) is definitely borderline. Only reason I don't actually call it proprietary is, even though it breaks a standard, assuming each 24-pin IS a standard in and of themselves one could theoretically run the motherboard with two standard PSUs. Of course not a feasible solution beyond the technicality, though.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
Wouldnt it be cheaper to get one of those weird psus with 2 24 pin connectors though?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
Wouldnt it be cheaper to get one of those weird psus with 2 24 pin connectors though?

Yes. but that's not what this is about.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

anger99

Starter

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 07:24:17 AM »
    sry i sounded so angry, but it is my name.

i guess i have reached the  burnout cap for techs, I've been at this since 1994

And yes the cheapest solution is to buy the dell psu from those discountelectronics people i posted earlier, but the problem with that is the problem will come back after an indeterminable time ( I tried to do the math and physics of power burn out on the circuitry, but i had no conclusive data - and yes i have a degree in theoretical mathematics, emphasis in philosophy, accompanied by a minor " but minors are not worth mentioning by name). ;) ;) ;)

Tip:
    In order to get the dell xps 710 to boot after it starts the un-ending amber light problem is:
    1) to take out the cpu,
    2) boot the cpu in another machine ( or mobo)
    3) re- mount cpu in dell xps 710
    4) pray a little
    5) hit power button.

as a side issue, i have never been able to truly diagnose the problem with this machine. I have found that sometimes the cpu will not come out of s3 state, maybe the xps 710's modified nvidia 590 chipset sends a s3 kill message instead of the unmodified mobo chipset sending a sleep message.

or maybe the xps 710's modified chipset ( that does not allow overclocking anything other than an extreme chip) cannot complete a s3 suspend state

any which way, you guys sound fairly competent, and might be able to answer those qustions for me, but that should be another string

again,
    sry about the mental violence
    anger

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
    Thats what counsiling is for... to hel you with anger ;)

kizza1645

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 03:52:37 AM »
    Thats what counsiling is for... to hel you with anger ;)

Why is this thread still going...........
    far out, its been ages,