Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME will not start  (Read 8062 times)

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Windows ME will not start
    « Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »
    Don't worry...I'll wait for suggestions, fdisk didn't seem to be the right place to be, and format scared the heck out of me....Fdisk did ask about "enable large disk support" and not to use it if I intend to install multiple OS....interesting...again ahead of myself....is that smoke I smell?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
    the "enable large disk" support feature enables the FAT32 filesystem, which is fairly universally supported nowadays; without it, your stuck with FAT16. a FAT16 partition can only be about 2GB in size. Since your ideal config calls for Windows/Ubuntu on a dual boot, you want windows on there first; since setup is encountering errors, your doing the best thing in the situation; formatting the drive completely.

with fdisk, I recommend splitting your hard drive into the separate Ubuntu and windows partitions; on the other hand, the Ubuntu install let's you resize an existing partition and install it into a new partition.

You are definitely on the right track, though; I'd use fdisk to delete all partitions (assuming you haven't any important data that hasn't been backed up) and recreate them; then reboot and try to install windows again.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
      Windows ME has started!!!!

With this success I fear the work has just begun.

As this is an older computer, seems I can't remember the hardwear, and am having a hard if not impossible time finding drivers.

Is there a "broad brush", a collection of common drivers, that might get me started? One install disk I did find was my DSL internet disk, but I need a driver for video card for higher resolution for it to load.

I'm not trying to be lazy, and am looking through some boxes.......I was hoping to use the internet to analyze the system to find the drivers.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
      no problem, my friend!

If you download and install Everest Home, run it, and create a text file report and attach it to your next post, It'll give all your hardware details and I'll help you find some drivers for them  ;D

And then once ME is ready to go; you can try to get Ubuntu dual-booting on the machine, if you're up to it. Should be relatively painless (Installer does the hard work thank goodness).

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
        I think this is it, it seems kind of big I hope it is ok to post.

As always, thank you!

Computer:
              Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows ME
              OS Service Pack                                   -
              DirectX                                           4.07.01.3000 (DirectX 7.1)
              Computer Name                                     DELL
              User Name                                         

Motherboard:
              CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4, 1500 MHz (15 x 100)
              Motherboard Name                                  Dell Dimension 8100
              Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Tehama i850(E)
              System Memory                                     512 MB  (PC800 RDRAM)
              BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (08/02/01)
              Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
              Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
              Video Adapter                                     Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
              3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
              Monitor                                           X191W [NoDB]  (16491687188535)

Multimedia:
              Audio Adapter                                     Creative SB PCI128 (CT4751) Sound Card

Storage:
              IDE Controller                                    Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
              IDE Controller                                    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
              IDE Controller                                    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
              Floppy Drive                                      GENERIC NEC  FLOPPY DISK
              Disk Drive                                        GENERIC IDE  DISK TYPE55
              Disk Drive                                        SanDisk Cruzer Mini
              Optical Drive                                     CD-R/RW CW099D CD-R/RW  (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
              Optical Drive                                     SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
              SMART Hard Disks Status                           Unknown

Partitions:
              C: (FAT32)                                        68275 MB (67186 MB free)

Input:
              Keyboard                                          HID-compliant keyboard
              Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
              Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse
              Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse
              Mouse                                             Standard PS/2 Port Mouse

Network:
              Network Adapter                                   3Com EtherLink PCI  (192.168.1.44)
              Network Adapter                                   PPP Adapter.

Peripherals:
              USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801BA ICH2 - USB Controller 1 [B-4]
              USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801BA ICH2 - USB Controller 2 [B-4]
              USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub
              USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub
              USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
              USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device
              USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »
        looks good; I'll do a little digging, find you some links to drivers.

Chipset driver:

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009238.htm

OK: here is your Display driver:

http://www.download.com/3001-2108_4-10491901.html?spi=8274c9d2d9d5f40a568a52245377e70e

it says XP but claims to be for 95/98/ME, if it doesn't work; just let me know.

sound driver:

http://www.download.com/3001-2120_4-908036.html?spi=e929e08974504b648d2fa9d02231d377

It looks like your network card is working.

Let me know, of course, if any of these don't work or you have any problems :)

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
          BC you are the MAN!

Chipset software is in. The video driver is in. Internet is up.

Sound is still a problem.

"Setup was unable to detect the full set of files required for the SoundBlaster PCI128 (drivers only) Web Update program"

"Please ensure you have downloaded the complete set of files before running this Setup program"

The whole time we've been at this, I've been running two computers, the broken Dell and the functional but kind of slow family computer, connected with a KVM switch, while using a thumb drive to transfer files. Now, thankfully, I will be able to download directly to the Dell.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
          interesting; I had the exact same problem trying to install the drivers for my old sound card on 98SE just recently.

I'm running out of time right now though, (gotta go to work  :-\)

If I don't pass out right when I get home we'll see if we can get your sound working too.

Then if you're still up to it we can venture into getting Ubuntu installed alongside your windows installation.

In the meantime- check device manager- any exclamation marks? (my guess would be "multimedia controller") or something similar.

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
          Just go to dells website and enter your service tag and all of the drivers that you need will be available for download.
          http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
            Downloaded driver from Dell. Downloaded ok, seemed to self extract ok, but still no sound.

Device Manager.....two yellow bangs....PCI Communication Device and PCI Multimedia Audio Device, under Other devices heading.