Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My cmputer issues.  (Read 6482 times)

Gullible

Topic Starter

Starter

My cmputer issues.
    « on: December 13, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
    Old computer died so I decided it was time to upgrade. Also decided to custom build my computer from base parts. Since then there have sadly been some minor problems that I am concerned are indications of a larger problem that will get worse if I ignore it.

Let's start with my parts:

GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6D-8GBMQ

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo Black 0.8mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

HLDS 48x 24x 48x 16x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive R2 (this could be the source of the problem but the fact that it runs at all makes me think it's related to ones and zeros)

Diamond Audio 2.0 Analog Speakers (also recycled from the previous computer)

Logitech headset

HANNspree HF199H monitor

The hard drive may need to be increased in size but messing with the drivers has improved the issue since it was built. Plays my games with relatively little problems. I was hoping that someone here could suggest bios or driver updates or fixes that I may be able to try.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: My cmputer issues.
      « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »
      Can you specify what the problems are?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Gullible

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
        Oh my god. I spent so much time making sure I got the hardware down and reminding myself to post the problems that I FORGOT to post the problems. Stupid linear progression of time.

When playing an audio CD or accessing the internet the process becomes "choppy" or slow. CD's will sound as though they are skipping as well as audio files from the internet. The internet itself will suddenly slow down as though processing a suddenly large amount of data. Also video graphics associated with these two medias often mirror the problem, freezing until the computer finishes moving things along.

And yet another problem comes with my microphone. The computer says that it is detected and yet when using the hardware testing wizard I cannot hear the playback. If  am communicating to people online they tell me that I sound quiet and distant. I have checked all audio and microphone options including the switch on the headphones itself and I am convinced that nothing is muted.

I've searched gigabyte, realtek, and microsoft for updates that may assist the problem but it still persists. I have communicated with gigabyte and realtek but have received no real assistance other than an offer to refund my money from gigabyte.

I've tried tweaking performance a little nad ended up restoring defaults (I as lucky to do so as for a time my computer kept rebooting upon startup).

I really hope that I won't be without a computer for two to seven weeks.

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »
          Let's see...8 GB of RAM, so I'm assuming 64-bit Vista.

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

What are you communicating online to people through?  Ventrilo?  Yahoo?  MSN?  Skype?  Have you check those programs' settings?  Are you running them as an Administrator (User Account Control annoys the crap out of Ventrilo).

If you go to Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE, select it), is something hogging a large amount of CPU or (unlikely as it may be) all your RAM?

Would you be able to try out another optical drive to eliminate that as a potential problem?

Also, it may be a longshot, but would you be able to borrow a sound card to try out?  If that works, but your onboard doesn't, that definitely indicates a problem with the onboard sound or its drivers.

As for your computer rebooting on startup, do this:
          Start -> Control Panel -> classic view -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Settings (under "Startup and Recovery") -> uncheck "Automatically restart".  Next time it wants to "restart," it'll actually give you a Blue Screen of Death.  Write down EVERYTHING on it and post it here.

Finally, we may also want to consider the fact that your power supply only has two +12V rails: one 14A and the other 15A.  Are you on the cusp of needing something bigger?  Then again, my build is similar to yours with 8 GB of RAM, Q6600, Vista x64, MSI P6N-SLI FI motherboard, 8800GT video, Mad Dog DVD burner, three 640 GB hard drives and one 500 GB hard drive, and all that is running on an Antec 550W power supply with three 17A +12V rails...

Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Gullible

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
            Already took care of the rebooting by restoring default settings. Enabled some power management thing and then disabled it when I managed to get my computer up to the bios again. I am not using Vista and don't believe that it is in fact an upgrade over XP (which I am using) with all of the problems that I have heard about it. As for the optical drive ti will be a couple months before I can get one with the holiday season. Same goes for sound card. As for power management, nothing hogging that much memory is running.

chuchu61190

Beginner

• Go Spurs
              « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
              having an outdated computer like that is kind of hard to manage, its important that you get good quality products to add on to your computer for the best
              XP isnt a bad operating system unless you dont have the hardware designed for that type of program

killerb255

Adviser
                « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
                Already took care of the rebooting by restoring default settings. Enabled some power management thing and then disabled it when I managed to get my computer up to the bios again. I am not using Vista and don't believe that it is in fact an upgrade over XP (which I am using)

The reason I assumed 64-bit Vista (x64 = 64-bit) is because you have EIGHT GIGS OF RAM. 

Are you using 64-bit XP?  If not, then that might be part of the problem.  32-bit XP can only see 4 GB of RAM minus some, depending on what hardware you have (somewhere about 3-3.5 GB is common).

64-bit XP and 64-bit Vista will see all 8 GB of your RAM.

However, 64-bit XP has very limited support (available by OEM or volume licensing only) and drivers are limited.  As for 64-bit Vista, it only accepts signed drivers without booting into unsigned driver mode.  Also, if manufacturers want to have their drivers signed, sealed, and approved by Microsoft, they have to have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their driver.  In other words, forced 64-bit support for Vista.  A Very Good Thing. :)

My usual recommendation for people that build their own PCs is:

2 GB of RAM or less = stick with XP for now.
                3-4 GB of RAM = toss-up.  Vista runs just fine with that amount of RAM, as does XP.  Stick with 32-bit.
                > 4 GB of RAM = 64-bit Vista, unless you REALLY want to deal with 64-bit XP...

with all of the problems that I have heard about it. As for the optical drive ti will be a couple months before I can get one with the holiday season. Same goes for sound card. As for power management, nothing hogging that much memory is running.

Because it can't.  Your operating system can't see all your RAM...