Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp desktop 1GB RAM Windows Vista  (Read 8315 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Re: hp desktop 1GB RAM Windows Vista
    « Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »
    can anyone please walk me through the steps to replace windows vista with windows xp, and retain all my data

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 07:43:20 PM »
      Late arrival into topic, but hey...better late than never, right? :)

For some reason, lately the computer has been acting real slow to open programs or explorer windows, and seems to give me the 'Program not responding' message every so often.  If I do see the 'Not responding' message, how do I end the application or t ask (CTRL-ALT-DEL doesnt do anything), because once the 'Not responding' message shows up, the computer stops responding to  keyboard input while the mouse still works.

Above all, why is this happening and how to fix it

You have Vista and 1 GB of RAM.  That's reason enough.  Running Vista with less than 2 GB of RAM is the number one cause of computer cancer.

Three options here:

1) Get more RAM.

Benefits:
      +: No need to go through the hassle of formatting (although backing up your data is always a good idea, regardless).
      +: It's usually a 5 minute fix if you know how to do it.

Drawbacks:
      -: Costs money. :)
      -: Possibility of buying the wrong RAM if you don't do your homework (http://www.crucial.com makes this easy 99% of the time).

2) Use a USB flash drive as ReadyBoost.

Benefits:
      +: Quick fix if you have a flash drive with nothing on it.

Drawbacks:
      -: 1 GB + Readyboost is faster than 1 GB alone, but still a lot slower than having 2 GB of RAM or more with Vista
      -: It's a band-aid solution--like boarding up a broken window instead of getting a new one.

3) Downgrade to XP.

Benefits:
      +: XP runs just fine on 1 GB of RAM.

Drawbacks:
      -: There is no "in-place downgrade" from Vista to XP.  You will have to back up your data, format, and install XP.
      -: You'll have to find XP drivers for all your stuff.  Your computer probably only came with Vista drivers.
      -: You'll also have to get a Windows XP installation disc and product key.  You'll have to contact Microsoft or the manufacturer of your PC for information on getting an XP disc and key to exercise downgrade rights.

Honestly, I would recommend #1 to you.  RAM is extremely cheap these days. 
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »
      can anyone please walk me through the steps to replace windows vista with windows xp, and retain all my data

Yes.
      The first step though would be to visit the manuf. site and DLoad and collect XP drivers for all your devices...this is important so i'll leave it here until you have all drivers.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "