Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need a (free) firewall  (Read 8932 times)

arej00dazed

Topic Starter

Rookie

need a (free) firewall
    « on: December 17, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
    I've used zonealarm free for years. But somewhere along the line my network has degraded and most the time I cant get my laptop to even connect to the net unless I shut ZA down. I cant even get all my pc's to talk to each other, havent fingured that one out yet, but thats for another post. I put comodo on the desktop, but just really dont like it that much. So, what other free firewalls are out there that works pretty good and easy to use, yet not as annoying as comodo and is as easy to use as ZA. Friend of mine keeps suggesting just to use the windows firewall and nothing else, but i dunno, just doesnt "feel" safe.
    Everyone I know comes to me to fix their PC's. I tell 'em to quit touching it and it will work fine.

Raptor

Re: need a (free) firewall
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
    Outpost firewall.

Windows firewall is not a firewall. It's a crapwall. Only use it if you're behind a hardware firewall.

arej00dazed

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »
      well i have have a d-link router with firewall. what "exactly" does a firewall do anyway? just keep ppl out? does it do anything for net surfing? cause regardless of firewall, i can still get trojans and what not.
      Everyone I know comes to me to fix their PC's. I tell 'em to quit touching it and it will work fine.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
      A firewall doesn't keep trojans out, but it can keep them in so they can't send out mined data or receive additional instructions. Virus scanners get rid of trojans

And yes, some firewalls try to filter out your browser traffic as well. Komodo being one of them, I recall a version that would filter for content (Enabled by default) and it would slow down web traffic a lot. Komodo sucks.

The rest is homework.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
      Windows firewall is not a firewall. It's a crapwall. Only use it if you're behind a hardware firewall.
      A firewall doesn't keep trojans out
      Both not true.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:37:56 AM »
      Both not true.

Well, since the first comment was sarcastic there is neither a 'true' nor 'false'.

Windows Firewall, by the way, is as leak as a coffee pad. I've tested it and it lets through a -lot- of things.
      And a firewall doesn't keep trojans out as trojans are often downloaded with programs. It keeps trojans inside.

Anyhow, do you pop a boner every time you claim something is false without proving the opposite? Just say so if you do because I'll gladly make you pop 'm all day long, "B(r)oni"

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
      Windows firewall is pretty decent firewall. The only downside is, that it's only one way firewall (protects inbound traffic, but not outbound).
      Then, a firewall has nothing to do with protecting a computer against trojans, or any other type of malwares. The main firewall job is to make your computer invisible to the outside world, and block any un-authorized communication between the computer, and the outside world (traffic going in, or out).
      Only use it if you're behind a hardware firewall.
      Source, if you have one?
      As for my source....I deal with security issues on couple of boards, and I know, many people are using just Windows firewall without any router. I still can't see any relationship between using just Windows firewall, and severity of infections on such computer.
      As I said, it's not firewall job, BUT, if your firewall works fine, then any trojan becomes useless, since it can't communicated with the planter, or at least gives you a warning of a such attempt.

P. S. No reason to get personal. We can somply discuss facts.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
      Source, if you have one?

The only downside is, that it's only one way firewall (protects inbound traffic, but not outbound).

Uh... Common knowledge, I guess since you just mentioned WHY you would want a secondary firewall if you use the Windows XP Firewall? Because the Windows Firewall only does half the job of many a commercial firewall?

Windows firewall is pretty decent firewall.

Yes, nothing like a firewall that does a half-arsed job. I guess anything is 'decent' according to your standards. Wonder what your daughters come home with to be honest.

Can we somply now?

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
        1) No reason to pick on a typo.  We all make mistakes.
        2) Windows Firewall in XP is one of those "better than nothing" ordeals.  I'd rather have people use that than no firewall at all.  I think Windows Firewall in Vista is two-way, but I have to double-check.
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
        I think Windows Firewall in Vista is two-way, but I have to double-check.
        It's not. It was M$ attempt to create two-way firewall, but it didn't happen.
        You can actually set some rules to control outbound traffic, but:
        - who wants to do it manually
        - it's a pain
        More info: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=331

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »
        I only have a hardware firewall, and the only infections I've had were trojans.

a quick Process Explorer to write down names, and a recovery console run to delete them, and all is usually well again. (I've had to do it twice when I missed a few dll or trojans the first time).
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

arej00dazed

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »

Can we somply now?

come on, can we keep everything civilized here?! Im tired of petty flaming on message boards. I get this crap everywhere I go regardless of what was said.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
          I thought arguments and sarcasm was the hallmark of civilization. What, you want me to bash his brains in?

So, are you going to try Outpost Firewall or are we going to keep feeding the B(r)onified troll?

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »
            At this point, we'll let the mods deal with the troll (obviously not Broni).  For now, let's not feed the real troll in this topic any more...
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

arej00dazed

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
              What, you want me to bash his brains in?

at least it would be more entertaining than all this *****ing and whining. lets try to keep it on topic now please?