Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts down once every week (been a 3-4 weeks now). Dumprep related??  (Read 4812 times)

green tea

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Hi guys, I'm back with another question..

For several weeks now, my pc's been shutting down by itself (I'm watching a vid on youtube, browsing the internet, watching a video and then monitor is black and the pc turns off and restarts).

And I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Dumprep.exe? Once the computer reboots and the desktop is loaded, my Winpatrol pops up with an alert saying that Dumprep.exe is going to add itself to the startup list (and Y: if its ok, or N: don't allow). So I click "No"

I did a search for dumprep tonight and found 4 results:

Name:                         In Folder                                                        Size      Type
    dumprep                      C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$       9 kb     Application     
    DUMPREP.EXE-1B46F901.pf    C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch                     150 kb   PF File
    dumprep                                 C:\WINDOWS\system32                     11 kb   Application
    dumprep                                C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386    11 kb   Application

Now my question is, are any of those necessary, harmful or just leave alone?

If this is in the wrong section, please move it. Thanks for the help

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Normally, Dumprep.exe is not needed as startup.
    You can disable it by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out
    But....because of your problem, it may be helpful, so don't disable it, yet.

Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe
    Open it, click Analyze button.
    The program will create report
    Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

green tea

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Hey Broni, how you doing? Did not know there was a program to identify causes of crash. And I use my 2gb flash drive for transferring files from one computer to another.. I always select "eject" before pulling it out.. could this be the cause? Also, I'm currently using Sygate firewall, and I remember Sygate alerting me about NT Kernel when I first started using this. I didn't know what NT kernel was, so I put it on the "don't allow list" for Sygate.

Analysis
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dumps are enabled for your computer.

On Thu 2008-12-18 10:48:36 AM your computer crashed
      This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
      Bugcheck code: 0x9C (0x0, 0x8054D570, 0xB2000000, 0x1020080F)
      Error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
      file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
      product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      company: Microsoft Corporation
      description: NT Kernel & System
      The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver in your system which cannot be identified.

On Wed 2008-12-17 9:24:27 AM your computer crashed
      The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver in your system which cannot be identified.

On Fri 2008-12-12 9:03:20 AM your computer crashed

On Mon 2008-12-01 9:19:38 AM your computer crashed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In the case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      I'm doing fine. Thank you :)

It definitely looks like hardware problem, most likely RAM in bank 0.
      How many RAM sticks do you have?
      Run memtest: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html