Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Failure  (Read 16760 times)

Raptor

Re: USB Failure
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »

This was at the start of your link:

Device Manager displays only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or "ghosted" devices) are not displayed in Device Manager, even when you click Show hidden devices.

I couldn't find anything camera related in device manager.  ??? ??? ???

Scroll down with your eyes just a wee bit on that page.

To work around this behavior and display devices when you click Show hidden devices:

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
    Ok, got hidden devices up via command prompt as per link, but could not find anything for or related to camera ???

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »
    Ok, got hidden devices up via command prompt as per link, but could not find anything for or related to camera ???

Alright, and what about any other USB devices that can be removed?

By the way, do you recall what happened to your PC before his happened? Did you install a new driver, a Windows update or anything else?

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »
      There are no other USB devices on the pc. It has been some time since I used a USB port for anything. I check for updates every other day and update when applicable. The computer works great otherwise, quite fast, no nasties on board etc, regular scans ???

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
      A 4 port PCI/USB card with firewire also will run you about 15 to 30 dollars depending on where you are...
      Installation with help from a friend should take no longer than 15 minutes tops.

Although not the most glamarous solution probably the least painful...
      Best of Luck.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »
      There are no other USB devices on the pc. It has been some time since I used a USB port for anything. I check for updates every other day and update when applicable. The computer works great otherwise, quite fast, no nasties on board etc, regular scans ???

Try the following;

Delete HID and Composite USB (Human Interface Devices)
      Delete USB Root Hubs (Universal Host Controllers)
      Delete USB Host Controllers (Universal Host Controllers)

Then restart.

Or go with what Patio suggests for a quick workaround. Chances are your USB ports might jump back to live after one update or another in the near (or far) future.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
        another thing you MAY want to try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
          I will do that Raptor, thanks
          If I remove SP3(and I thought about that) how hard is it to reinstall ?

I'm open to all suggestions and in the meantime, I await a snowstorm coming very shortly.    Merry Xmas from Nova Scotia, Canada.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
          I will do that Raptor, thanks
          If I remove SP3(and I thought about that) how hard is it to reinstall ?

I'm open to all suggestions and in the meantime, I await a snowstorm coming very shortly.    Merry Xmas from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I don't think uninstalling SP 3 will help unless you uninstall SP2 as well. When you download USB drivers for a mainboard, the manufacturer often says that you should either load these drivers or update to SP2 which would lead me to believe that the support for a lot of USB controllers is in SP2 and not SP3 or SP1.

Anyhow, it wouldn't be very hard to reinstall. You can get the downloader here

I'd keep that as a last resort and if you're in a really experimental mood. You might damage your Windows installation if something goes wrong.

Try completely uninstalling all USB related devices first.

By the way, could you try booting from a USB device to see if the ports and controller are still functioning on a hardware level? Or hooking up a USB keyboard and entering the BIOS from there. You might need to enable 'USB Legacy support' for USB hardware to work during POST.

IF you can't boot from a USB device, try going into safe mode and hook up a USB device there to see what happens.

By the way, are you absolutely 100% positive that your BIOS is properly configured when it comes to USB devices?

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
            In BIOS it says........USB boot.....ENABLED
            Then in advanced, i go to USB Configuration and it says:

High Speed USB........ENABLED
            Legacy USB Support...ENABLED
            USB 2.0 Legacy Support..... Full-Speed

Having a hard time locating HID device in Device manager..help

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »
            Might not be there if you do not have a USB mouse or keyboard (or any other input device) so you can skip that.

BIOS seems fine indeed.

Restart your computer to let the changes take effect, Windows will most likely need a minute or so to reinstall the drivers.

If that didn't work, try booting from a USB device or enter the BIOS using a USB keyboard so that we can test the controller and USB ports without Windows interfering.

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
              I don't have a USB keyboard.
              I uninstalled the five Universal Host Controllers and uninstalled the five USB Root hubs and rebooted.  The controllers and the root hubs reinstalled themselves. I did exactly that at least twice yesterday with same results as just now.
              The only devices I have that connect via USB are my camera and printer.

I haven't tried removing SP3 yet, can I remove that and install SP2 to see what happens ? I read somewhere recently that  SP3 has been causing various problems for some folks, for apparently no rhyme or reason.  I don't know ??? ??? ???

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
              First try booting into safe mode (F8 before Windows loads) and using a USB device from there.

it'd be really handy dandy if you could find a USB key or mouse/keyboard.
              Something less complex than a camera or a printer...

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »

went into Safe Mode, USB ports still not working