Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DSL Connection fine, but computer won't connect  (Read 3827 times)

asmith385

Topic Starter

DSL Connection fine, but computer won't connect
    « on: December 16, 2008, 07:43:03 AM »
    I've got a bit of a problem with my home computer. We've got an older Compaq desktop that we use for our main computer, which has a DSL connection from AT&T which suddenly stopped working. One day it was fine like normal, and the next it refused to make any connection, giving me a "limited or no connectivity" message. I went through the *censored* that is AT&T tech support, who told me it was a problem on my computer, not with the connection (further verified by plugging my Vista laptop into the DSL modem and having no connection issues whatsoever)

The Compaq is about five years old, and uses Windows XP Home sp3. We got a new network card for it like the tech support people recommended (Network Everywhere NC100U-WM), but nothing has changed. Any ideas on what I should do?

arej00dazed

Rookie

Re: DSL Connection fine, but computer won't connect
      « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
      have you tried shutting down the firewall and connecting? I get this problem all the time on my laptop, its the firewall causing problems and I have yet to finger it out.
      Everyone I know comes to me to fix their PC's. I tell 'em to quit touching it and it will work fine.

beanodino1

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
      Have near the same problem now problems, I have Att dsl as well & have alot of good luck with all their diagnostic & repair  program ulitity's for connection problems or others! Hit the Windows startup index button, hit network or connect  programs featuers & that should be all the Att help solutions you should ever need! Using there live support is alot foreign communcation conflicts to deal with, but sometimes you can find a very good support agent to help with solving your probelms.

asmith385

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
        Thanks for the suggestions. I tried turning off the firewall, but nothing changed. I tried using the system restore to go back to an earlier point when it was still working, but it told me that nothing had changed. I'm still trying to find a solution, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »
          download this on your laptop:

http://majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

put it on a flash drive(whatever works), and move to and run
          on the compaq machine...see if it works for you...!!!

Good Luck

beanodino1

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
          Check network sharing program, to see if you have another network  conflicting with your main network computer, mine is at the bottom right toolbar which shows 2 combined PC Monitors , which means  network PC connections. Best I method I have found is to click diagnostic & repair for inside Windows network sharing conflicts which should show you where the connection problem is located. After appling diagnostic & repair to the problem link ,choose one of the 3 repair options, the one that seems to work best for myself is resetting the network adaptor, which has always fixed my connection & also helps to send repair work invoice link to Windows diagnostic support for helping find a solution on solving network connection in the near future!  hope this helps?