Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Synchronize DRAM?  (Read 2408 times)

Aiming4Autonomy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Why Synchronize DRAM?
    « on: December 20, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
    Sorry if this topic is out of place, but I couldn't think of any other category it belonged to more.  I've lately been trying to learn how computers work and coming across RAM modules, I'm trying to figure out the point in the synchronized aspect of SDRAM and why it matters.

I understand the functionality of Dynamic RAM, but not so much with synchronizing the RAM module to the computer.  What does this actually mean for performance and why is it important?  For reference sake, the following definitions afforded by this site are here:

DRAM- http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dram.htm
    SDRAM- http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/sdram.htm

I know this isn't an entirely critical thing to know, but curiosity and a strong desire to know computers inside and out has got the best of me.  Any information would be much appreciated.

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: Why Synchronize DRAM?
      « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
      I think you'll find it's faster...no(or fewer) wait states if sync'd with system clock..!!!

Aiming4Autonomy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »
        I apologize for the complete lack of experience or knowledge in this field, but what are wait states and what are performance differences regarding wait states between SDRAM and DRAM?  Also, does synchronization with the system clock have any relation to DRAM's electrical nature (in that it requires a refreshed electrical supply of power in increments of milliseconds)?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
          a good place to get answers...there are many others I'm sure:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/timing.htm

Enjoy

Aiming4Autonomy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »
            Thanks for the link, fgdn17.  It certainly looks like a much more detailed resource on the subject of a computer's workings than this site provides, but I'm finding myself so far out of the loop I can't find a base of reference.  As I read through the pages, I start going through loops trying to understand definitions of what they're describing.

For instance, I'm still failing to comprehend what a 'clock cycle' is relative to memory access.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »