Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Image on screen has severe 'bleeding'  (Read 2350 times)

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
    Image on screen has severe 'bleeding'
    « on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »
    I was using an AGP video card in my computer (running Windows 98SE), and at one point, the image severely bled to the right. Rebooting didn't help, reseating didn't help either. I know this is a hardware issue, as the onboard video works (but I cannot do a lot of things I used to be able to do), and the configuration didn't change. It might be notable that I am using a CRT. I also noticed that the onboard itself has a bit of bleeding, but barely any. Any ideas?

Just remembered, it even bleeds on the BIOS screen (where it shows you the BIOS version)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Image on screen has severe 'bleeding'
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:23:16 PM »
    As you said, it could be a hardware issue; but since your encountering similar behaviour with the on-board... have you tried a different monitor?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:13:21 AM »
    It could be electromagnetic interference. Do you have any other electronic devices close to the monitor (like speakers)?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
      BC_Programmer, I encounter something with not only the on-board and the video card, but also with any computer using a CRT monitor. The video card's case is just more severe than the rest.

JJ 3000, I have speakers nearby, but they would not be the source of the problem. I have moved them numerous times, to no change.

All, I believe this bleeding is a fact of life for all CRTs. Next week (ASAP), I'll try hooking the card up to this LCD monitor we have connected to a different computer. I don't know whether there will be bleeding or not.

I will also try to test all of the connections on the card with my multimeter. Heat might have caused some warping, or maybe not. It can't hurt to try, anyway. I also know this card is out of warranty (unless it has a lifetime warranty, IDK if it does or not), so my best bet might be to get a new card. Does anyone know if an AGP card which doesn't say it's compatible with Win98SE would work? I just suspect some functionality would be lost, because the BIOS would be a primary gateway, and the POST would fail otherwise (I believe).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
      so then the colour bleeding occurs with various computers with different configurations?

I wouldn't say CRT colour bleeding is a fact of life- I have a monitor from 96 that has a perfectly sharp picture, and have never personally seen a CRT with colour bleeding before. Now television sets, that's a different story...

What particular cards are you looking at that don't claim windows 98 support? At the very least, they will work with the generic VGA driver. The question then is wether the manufacturer has released windows 98 drivers for the device.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:10:57 AM »
      Rebooting didn't help, reseating didn't help either. I know this is a hardware issue, as the onboard video works (but I cannot do a lot of things I used to be able to do)

The onboard video was most likely lacking drivers (or processing power), correct? The former can be easily redeemed by a visit to the mainboard manufacturer.

It sounds to me like your videocard is overheating. Perhaps you just need to reapply some thermal paste and clean out the cooler.