Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with Partition Magic stuff...  (Read 2503 times)

rock_lee_96

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Ninja of the HōJō
    Need help with Partition Magic stuff...
    « on: December 31, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
    Hi...
    So for Xmas I got a new external harddrive which is pretty d**n big - 640GB and I mooved all my data on it.
    Since there was nothing to do with my other harddrive (in my pc) I decided to partition them in order to have two operating systems - Both Vista and (to try it out) Ubuntu.

So I started messing around and stuff, untill I ended up like this:

As you can see on the pic, I messed up my partition stuff, while my original idea was to leave 100GB for the C: (Vista, NTFS) and the remaining 60Gb for "D" (or maybe I'll make another letter) (Ubuntu, Linux Ext2/3).

Unfortunately when I tried to add some space from My previous "E" partition to the "C" it said that programs are running from the "C", therefore this is impossible. Since my WIN is running from the "C", I figured only a boot disk can save me.

Problems are:
    1. I don't know how to add the Unallocated space to the "C", in order to increase the C's free space a little.
    2. I don't know how to make the Unformatted "D" into a Linux thingy (Linux Ext2/3), and then set it as an install location for my new Ubuntu.
    3. I haven't a clue how to make boot up CD's or dissketes.

So if you can guys help I will be verry happy, because I can't stand my computer messed up like this anymore!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:07:08 AM by rock_lee_96 »
    I am Kotaro, the ninja of the HōJō.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Need help with Partition Magic stuff...
      « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
      Since there's nothing on "Local Disk (D)" or what was E, delete both of those partitions.

Once it shows up as free space, try adding additional space to C that way.  If you get an error stating that there are programs in use, doesn't Partition Magic reboot the machine and complete the operation outside of Windows?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Need help with Partition Magic stuff...
      « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
      Personally i would start over....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "