Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need network range/signal help  (Read 2330 times)

maynard

Need network range/signal help
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:33 PM »
I am not able to obtain Comcast or DSL  :(. MY only option other than expensive verizon/sprint internet cards is wireless Clearwire. In order to obtain a clearwire signal, I have only one corner of my home I can place their modem to obtain a signal of at least 4 bars on their modem. I have wired my Zyxel X-550 wireless router next to it.

My current home configuration has our two desktops approximately 65-70 feet away from the modem/router. These two laptops are equipped with 2.4 ghz Linksys USB wireless network adapters. The signal quality on both is poor, I have seen speed as high as 36 Mbps. The signal drops out frequently regardless of where we located these adapters.

We also have two Dell laptops which we use in the same relative location as the desktops (about 65 feet from the router). The signal strength on mine is "good" with 3 bars showing out of 5 possible. As I move closer to the router, the number of bars increases to 4 then to 5.  I have an "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless connection". The other laptop has a "Netgear 108 Mbps wireless PC card (WG511T)". It's performance is very poor.. and sometimes will not connect.

My question is how do I increase the signal quality/speed to these computers?  I have read about 802.11n routers, adding directional antennes, adding extenders and other gizmo's.

If possible I'd like to do one thing to correct all problems but all of your advise will be greatly appreciated

Thanks ahead of time :)