Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive problem  (Read 2051 times)

zortar

Topic Starter

Hard drive problem
    « on: December 23, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
    Hello everyone,
    My problem is this:
    Yesterday while I was working on my pc, the computer jammed and i restarted, only to restart with It didn’t load windows but, showed a blank screen with the message

PXE-E61 - Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Naturally I panicked. I restarted but still the same. Please note that I have two hard drives (SATA): One (200 GB Seagate)  with the OS (WINXP) and the other for my files (500GB Seagate). I did some research on the Internet and assumed that either the HD are faulty or fried or that this might be a boot problem in the bios (boot sequence). So I checked the bios and would not recognize the hard drives (The order was floppy, DVD, Harddrive, then Network). I played around with the sequence but still nothing.  I then thought that it might be a cable problem. I switched the SATA cables, I even replaced them with new ones. I then proceeded with the power cables. Nothing. I then attempted to check the Hard drives by themselves. I left the OS HDrive and it booted all ok. I then placed the second hardrive and would not recognize it. I assumed that there might be a problem with the second Harddrive. I attempted to placed them both again, but again it would not recognize either. I them checked the second Harddrive on another computer, and again it would not recognize it, but it would recognize the OS Harddrive of the other computer.

Is there a possibility that the OS of my 1st Harddrive faulty and it may be causing a problem? If so then why doesn’t the second hardrive get recognized on the other computer?  So I connected my second Hardrive with a Sata USB connection. I heard it spinning! but  would recognize the USB but said UNKNOWN Device. I tried to use HDD Regenerator but would not find the second Harddrive.

I thought of using the freezing trick, but I am too afraid to do so, scared of what happens after.

My Work of THREE long years is on that drive and I am very disappointed and confused.

Any suggestions please?

Raptor

Re: Hard drive problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:09:59 AM »
    Enable S.M.A.R.T monitoring in the BIOS and get diagnostic software for your harddrive.

I am not entirely sure if the media test failure is relevant, it could be an Intel network boot thing that you normally miss because it just boots anyway.

zortar

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »
      Thanks for your reply Raptor.
      ok will try to do, though i think its enabled. Ill get back to you. In the meantime, anyone other suggestions are welcome
      « Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:25:51 AM by zortar »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
      Did you get the diagnostic software?