Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Erasing Hard Drive Troubleshoot  (Read 3029 times)

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Erasing Hard Drive Troubleshoot
« on: April 08, 2005, 10:47:46 PM »
Hi Everyone I have this Hard Drive that I cant seem to reformat or erase. It seems like the Hard Drive is protected Some how.

The only thing I know about the Hard Drive is that I cant run scandisk on it, It has no OS and it creates an Extended drive. (Which means adds a new secound drive. Another problem I have with it is the fact that Everytime I attempt to erase the Hard Drive It dissconects from the computer. Its so annoying. I tried both methods of reformating. Using it as a slave drive and booting it up with another computer Which has Windows. And using DOS in start up to attempt to erase it no luck... This Hard Drive got me stumped...

Someone have a drive like this also?
If you want more info email me @ [email protected]

Thanks

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Erasing Hard Drive Troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »
If you have a floppy drive have you tried using a bootdisk?
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Erasing Hard Drive Troubleshoot
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 02:04:09 PM »
Win98:

It might be a boot sector virus.  Try using a Win98 boot disk and typing the FDISK /MBR command.  Also, see if virus protection is enabled in the BIOS setup (if it is, disable it before you try to delete the partition).

The delpart.exe utility (which was included in the Windows NT 3.1 Res Kit) may also delete the partition for you.  You may download it from one of the links at this site:

http://tweakcentral.com/files.htm

or here:

http://radified.com/Files/rad_files.htm

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:09:23 PM by pcdoc4christ »