Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting PC to amplifier/speakers  (Read 2406 times)

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
    Connecting PC to amplifier/speakers
    « on: December 23, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »
    It can't be this tough, I know, and  I'm missing something basic but...I'm trying to go to a Yamaha EMX212 mixer/power amplifier, out to PA speakers from my PC running Vista Premium 6600 Quad, 4GB, nVidia, RealTec HD and everything else you can name. I cannot for the life of me get it to play out. I have the capability hardware wise, can someone help with the smarts that I can't help myself with please? I know....stupid but come on...I just turned 55. Good memory, just short!
    Thanks in advance,
    BG
    Thank you,
    Blookah

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connecting PC to amplifier/speakers
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:10:40 AM »
    Most desktop PCs these days do not have an analog line out. A few do. The usual thing is to use the speaker connection from the PC to go into a mixer at about +6dbm into a unbalanced line in.
    This is a pain because then you can not have the PC speakers hooked up. So we get one of those stereo Y adapters, the kind that lets two people use headphones form one source. You put one to the little PC sneakers and the other to a unbalanced line input on your mixer. Be careful with the level.  :)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connecting PC to amplifier/speakers
    « Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »
    Yeah at full level output from PC you will notice some distortion with most sound cards, but Geek is right, You want a 3.5mm jack adapter to you canon/RCA/Big 3.5mm (forgot what size it is) or whatever you are using for your amp, and then out to the Speakers..

You will want sound level of the main volume out from your computer to be at 8/10 of full level, and plugged into the speaker/headphone port of your PC.

Then in vista make sure all your separate programs are at full volume (in Vista you can change each programs volume independently)

Do you get any sound throughput on your PFL? (if it has one)

Do you get anything if you just plug in normal computer speakers/headphones?