Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: possible motherboard issue?  (Read 3212 times)

towlie65

possible motherboard issue?
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
Hello, I think my motherboard might have shorted on me. Here is what happened. Last night was the last time I was on it and everything was working fine no problem. I left it on since then, and came back to it today and it was still on, didn't seem like there was a problem.

I turn on my monitor and nothing comes up, I move the mouse and notice the laser isn't on. Neither are the lights on my keyboard. So I mess with the USB a little bit and I get nothing. I get inside my computer and start testing things out and here is where I am now.

Everything powers up, my hdds are powering up, my cpu fan is working fine, the video card fan is spinning, and my fans on my case work. But here is where it gets weird, when my cd-rom drives are plugged into the motherboard they won't open. But as soon as I take off the IDE cable so its just connected to the PSU they open fine.

I tried messing with the cmos but that didn't do anything. I also plugged the speaker in to listen for any beeps but thats not working either, I'm not sure if thats because the speaker is old and possibly not working or if the motherboard possibly shorted. The thing that gets me is how would anything else recieve power like normal but just not post or anything? Anyways I hope this is enough info, so right now I am at a loss any help is appreciated.

tigros40208

Starter

Re: possible motherboard issue?
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
    I am having this same issue. I had been having intermitted issue where if I powered down my computer for a long period of time it wouldn't power back up. I would have to fiddle with it for awhile. I would jiggle cables and replug in stuff and eventually it would work again though the CMOS would always give me a "CPU Settings have Changed" message at post afterwards. The last time I removed my CMOS battery and restarted like that and it seemed to come up fine. Now I get nothing no matter what I do. I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one and have removed everything from the computer and replaced one at a time to see if it will start and get nothing. Case powers up and motherboard LED light comes on but the power switch light on front of case remains off and no POST takes place. I am getting a PSU tester to see if its the PSU but is there any ideas what else it could be. Thinking it might also be a dead MB.

Biostar 945P MB

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
    I have four motherboards like that.  :'( I am going to put them in an open abox and set them on the sidewalk. I will take a felt pen and write "free" on the box. I hope some youngsters passing by will take them all.  :-[

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
    sounds like dodgy IDE cables...Replace em with 80-wire IDE cables and try again :)

Could also be a failed HDD or CDD that is causing this to happen, try plugging them in one at a time to find the culprit.

tigros40208

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:53 AM »
      Finally found my MB booklet and got ahold of some more information. There are supposed to be 2 working LED's on MB for alls clear and one is out. The booklet says that means its an VGA error so it looks like it might be my Video Card.  Uhhh now I gotta go out and get a cheap one to test it out

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »
      What is your Motherboard?

I have two on mine too but one only lights up when I install a 2x AGP card as they are not supported.

Other one lights up to indicate power going through board

tigros40208

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »
        Biostar 965PT
        A new video card didnt do it and the psu came back good. Looks like its time for a new motherboard.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
        I have four motherboards like that.  :'( I am going to put them in an open abox and set them on the sidewalk. I will take a felt pen and write "free" on the box. I hope some youngsters passing by will take them all.  :-[

Or better- just wait till next christmas. Save money on gifts, and get rid of some old junk too!
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.