Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express locks up when I click on url in email  (Read 3354 times)

GSXITH3

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Outlook Express locks up when I click on url in email
    « on: December 27, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
    I am running OE 6 under Windows media center 2005 (XP).  Links in all emails have started lcoking up OE forcing a reboot.  How can this be corrected?  TIA for any assistance.

billrich

Re: Outlook Express locks up when I click on url in email
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
    Get rid of the dbx files,  Close windows not needed, buy more ram, increase the free space on the HD., empty all temp files, scan for a virus, run Malwarebytes, Clean your register, Get all the XP updates.

To compact and back up e-mail folders
    1.   Select an e-mail folder.
    2.   On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.
    3.   To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").
     Notes
    •   Some message files might be too large to back up onto a floppy disk.
    •   If you are using a program other than Outlook Express to send e-mail messages to newsgroups, check your e-mail program's documentation for information about compacting and deleting e-mail folders.

After you back up the dbx file, delete the dbx files from the HD.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Outlook Express locks up when I click on url in email
    « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »
    Get rid of the dbx files, 
    Hold on, here.   You just told him to delete his email messages.  That's what would happen if he deletes the .dbx files.

GSXITH3, what is your default browser?  Do you have other browsers installed?

Try compacting your OE messages and see whether that resolves the problem.  To Compact, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance, and click the Clean Up Now button.  Then, click Compact and let OE complete the procedure.