Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: two hard drives, two many problems  (Read 1952 times)

disciplejohn52

Topic Starter

two hard drives, two many problems
    « on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:41 PM »
    I have two 160GB hard drives. One is designated C:, the other J:.
    (D & E are DVD and CD-ROM, F thru I are card readers).
    The C: drive gets filled up to fast, and the J: drive doesn't get used unless something is specifically installed on it, resulting in some things being completely installed on just the J: drive, and some on the C: drive. This seems terribly inefficient, as I can't schedule disk maintenance on both drives at the same time, plus many programs want to use C: as the default storage place, even if the program is installed on the J: drive.
    I know there has been mentions on here about using one disk for programs and one for storage. I don't know how I would set that up, or even if I should.
    One of our biggest space-users is video editing (and the Sims). It often comes to a standstill because of one disk or the other getting filled up.
    So the question is, should I (or even can I) set the two hard drives up as one, or what do I need to do to make things work right?
    I am getting ready to do a reinstall of the operating system in hopes that I can make things work right, but didn't know if that would help or not.
    Operating system: XP sp2
    computer make/model:Emachines T3256
    RAM: 1GB
    Hard drive: WD1600AAJB & WD1600BB
    Only restore cd's available
    I am pretty sure C: is master and J: is slave

disciplejohn52

Topic Starter

Re: two hard drives, two many problems
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:28:10 PM »
      addendum: the two drives show up as Master-Slave everywhere, but are in fact jumpered CS

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:11:52 AM »
      Try moving all your movies, pictures and music from C Drive to the other drive.
      You can also move whatever you want to the other drive, but do NOT move anything from C:\Program Files.

Here are some other tips to speed up your computer and save space:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62253.0.html

s-mac

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:25:45 AM »
        My Netbook has 2 partitions, C is 40GB and D is 70GB. I definately see what you mean, M C drive is 3/4s full while I'm using maybe 5GB on D. I would merge the partitions, but since it doesn't have a DVD drive, I'm afraid if something goes wrong I'm stuck. Guess it doesn't really matter since I don't use it that much.

I wouldn't merge the drives even if you could(can you?). I imagine it would lag.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
        I'm not very sure about this, but merging two partitions will not make the computer 'lag'.....