Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound problems  (Read 3621 times)

Joshuashaw

Topic Starter

Beginner

Sound problems
    « on: December 28, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
    I formatted my Dell 9100 PC this morning due to a malware infection and it needed a clean start and it certainly from spending few hours downloading software I had on it before feels better for the rebooting, I have also installed Windows Service Pack 3 as I'm trying to install Adobe CS4 as it asks for it, and now I go to to WMP11, try playing music, I get a red cross next to the song title of every song I try play and get the error code -

"Windows Media Player cannot play this file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might be not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another programme or it might not be functioning properly"

I know after I rebooted it, I removed a ton of programmes mostly trials run and crap I'd never use as I have superior programmes to the ones they were reccomending, I got rid of Creative Media (not sure on exact name) but when I've used it in the past it's always been a similiar product to WMP which I don't need, but now I remember durrrrr, stupid me, it also was related to Soundblaster or something like that what might of been the sound device I think as that was always the master control for the volume of the speakers (average dell ones that came with the computer).

Is this my problem that I got rid of this software when I got to Control Panel then Sound devices, it says none installed or something similiar. Urgh, my stupid mistake. Any idea how I get it back instead of rebooting back to shop standard which I presume is not good for my pc. Thanks in advance.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Sound problems
      « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:04:19 AM »
      Go into Device Manager & see if your sound card is recognized/enabled / if so do you have the software for it? / Go into Control Panel & run Add/Remove hardware.  Again, have the software for it handy.

Alan <><   :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!