Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP shows all drives as empty !!!  (Read 2464 times)

captain black

XP shows all drives as empty !!!
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
Hi guys, I've just joined while searching the net for some help and found this forum.

I followed a Windows Update prompt over xmas to update my XP OS machine. A day or two later all my harddrives except C are now showing as empty...!!!

I'm not sure if it was service pack 3 that was downloaded by that particular update but I found it was at some stage in the recent past. I websearched and learned SP3 caused a lot of people problems so unistalled it. But still no joy.

The system will not recognise any files that I know are on any of my floppy disks, or USB sticks. My D & E drives are all shown - but all read as "not formatted" & 100% unused, even though a day ago they contained all my documents. Even my CDrom drive shows but won't read any disk.

Has anyone else had a similar problem...? Can anyone help with this...??? I would be very very grateful if you can...

Ps: I had all my documents stored on the D & E drives as a measure to save them from the occasional Windows C drive crash.... it worked until today...

Pps: I checked my system history and the only point of interest I can see is that around the date I did the windows "security update" it shows that for drives D & E the "property free space", "property filesystem", and "property size" were all changed to value " "... which I guess means to zero. Looking back through the history file this has never occured before. My guess is that this is some clue to what has happened...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:39:10 PM by captain black »