Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Routers again.  (Read 2923 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Routers again.
« on: December 28, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
This is I think a separate problem compared with some others to with routers.

My D-Link DL-514 (a wirelss unit but no wireless connection used - all cable) served me well over quite some time with my last puter - allowing an easy hook up to my backup machine as well - both existed happily with their connections - all from a Direcway 6000 satellite modem.

I started with current machine mid this year ..... and IIRC was still managing fine with two machines off the router but - end of Sept had to upgrade 6000 to the 7000 modem model .... since when no luck using router. 

I did a router reset - power down, power down modem - and then hook all up and power up.  Bringing up my Broadcom Control suite - I checked out with tests and it pinged the 192.168.0.1 IP of the modem and other tests showed as good including relevant cables - but - no functional connection seen by puter.  Some tests involve a temp virtual disconnection and the usual "cable unplugged" message came up briefly and then off.  All seemed to check out but no connection as far as puter was concerned.

So - apart from things not seeming to set themselves and work, I went back to direct LAN link to puter from modem ...  but I found that after a reboot and modem refresh power cycle - I had no connection!

Thank heaven for ERUNT as a use of ERNDT from recent - got whatever settings shouldn't have changed in reg - back to what did work. .. relief.  However, I am loathe to try again as all that happens is it screws things up as well as not working!  I wonder right now mainly about the MAC number and what I might be able to do to check this out.  In my data sheet for this 7000 modem it mentions a MAC number different from what I see in the Broadcom Control Suite ..... should these match.?

Routers and networking have to be my weakest points - any thoughts appreciated regarding setting up a router - what matters and what doesn't.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!