Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New cmos battery  (Read 2211 times)

doh

Topic Starter

Starter

New cmos battery
    « on: December 28, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
    Hi-

I've been to about 10 sites searching for how to change a cmos battery and every one has said something like, "...write down the necessary bios settings." But they neglect to mention what those settings are.

I've been into the bios before and it looks like a maze to me with 10 screens of settings and 100 ways to screw it up :). Somebody, please post a list of what settings I need to write down, or a to a URL with the settings.

It's a friends machine. It's running Win98 and it's an HP. If you need other info, please ask.

Thanks, much!
    Homer
    « Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:13:49 PM by doh »

xavier

Re: New cmos battery
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
    Set the bios to best known config. or DEFAULT, if there is a setting in bios?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
    Actually this will happen automatically if the battery is changed out...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

doh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:26 AM »
      Thanks for the replies!

I just want make sure I'm understanding correctly: it sounds like you're saying that when I replace the battery the bios will automatically reset. Is that correct?

I'm confused because I Googled it and several articles said I need to write the settings down. Sorry, I'm a noob and don't want to mess up this girls computer.

It is an older computer. It's an HP running Win98 if that makes any difference as far it resetting itself.

Worst case scenario, if I replace the battery and reset the clock and it won't boot I can log onto HP's site with the model number and get the settings can't I?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
        doh,very unlikely that HP will provide any tech support for a computer that old. However changing the battery (as stated by Patio) should NOT create any issues BIOS or otherwise. just ensure that you obtain the same value of battery as is currently installed. Normally there are not a great deal of variants in the battery.truenorth

doh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:00:58 AM »
          Thanks, truenorth!