Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 disc drives will not read  (Read 4966 times)

fraziercara

Topic Starter

2 disc drives will not read
    « on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
    I have two disc drives--one that reads cds & dvds and one that reads and also burns them.  Neither of these will recognize that a disc is even in there--when I try to play the disc or open the file it says "please insert a disc."  The dvd burner drive does show how much disc space is available if there is a disc in,  and when I try to open it, the menu that should show the disc contents is empty.  This happened after we took our computer on a long trip to have a different issue addressed--could something have been jostled loose? Or is it more complicated than that? Any ideas?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: 2 disc drives will not read
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
    Open a side panel and check the IDE cable is snug both at the drive end and the MBoard end...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fraziercara

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »
      I'm sorry...is that the flat, wide cable or the three little wires, red white & black...because those are the ones I've been messing with and one has been completely unplugged this whole time...but I out it back in and the problem remains... thank you and I'm sorry I am so ignorant about this!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
      The ribbon cable is the IDE or data cable...
      The other connectors are the power connectors. You may have to try another power connector. They do sell extensions if it's a little short.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "