Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-Rom/DVD drive does not play DVD'S  (Read 5650 times)

0h_Mojave

CD-Rom/DVD drive does not play DVD'S
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:28:25 AM »

Hello to everyone on ComputerHope.com,

I have been trying for several months now to figure out what is wrong with my CD-RW/DVD combo drive.  For some reason, it will not play DVDs anymore.  I have an AMD Sepron(tm) 2200+ , Windows XP Service Pack 2.  My CD-RW/DVD combo drive is a LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K .  Everything else - music CDs, CD-RWs, CD-Rs - will play or run, but not DVDs.  It will spin and try to load a DVD, but it will just stop and not open.... There is no error message nothing and when u go into my commputer and click on the CD Drive it opens and nothing

Is this a driver, firmware, or a mechanical problem?  I don't get why other disc media will play, but not DVDs.      Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

xavier

Re: CD-Rom/DVD drive does not play DVD'S
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
Are you using windows media player? I have power dvd & windows media

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
    Oh_Mojave, What program do you normally use for playing your DVDs? Is this happening with all DVDs? Are these commercial DVDs that are not playing?truenorth

sibleytr

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »
      If it was working at one time and now is not, and you have been unable to locate any MS Hardware Patches related to the device - it sounds like a possible hardware issue, check you warranty.

The reason I say this is because I had a similar issue only in reverse. I could see and read both CD and DVD, however I could not burn anything other then DVD. Eventually I could not even read CD's. The drive was out of warranty so no return was possible.

Fortunately for me I was able to use it as a secondary device - I just can't use it with CD's.

sjohnson2

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
        hello all,
        I would recommend that you install the free VLC ----Video Lan player and try it again. It may be some codecs issues that your player is now out of date and can't see them to play.

I have been doing some research on this just recently and many DVD players do not include the software to decode or whatever it is. Even Windows media makes you pay for Win DVD, or in Vista it is included.

great selection found here.....printer cartridges
         *Link Removed*

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
        The best way to diagnose it is to swap the optical drive into another machine...if it does the same thing it's the drive and it needs replaced.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

0h_Mojave

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »

Hello to everyone on ComputerHope.com,

I have been trying for several months now to figure out what is wrong with my CD-RW/DVD combo drive.  For some reason, it will not play DVDs anymore.  I have an AMD Sepron(tm) 2200+ , Windows XP Service Pack 2.  My CD-RW/DVD combo drive is a LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K .  Everything else - music CDs, CD-RWs, CD-Rs - will play or run, but not DVDs.  It will spin and try to load a DVD, but it will just stop and not open.... There is no error message nothing and when u go into my commputer and click on the CD Drive it opens and nothing

Is this a driver, firmware, or a mechanical problem?  I don't get why other disc media will play, but not DVDs.      Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Thanks for the advice gents.... But anyways my warranty had expire so i changed the drive  to a HL-DT-ST-DVD-RAM GGH22NP20 AND ICHANGED THE OS to LastXP WHICH WASN'T needed but i wanted a new look