Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with memory installation  (Read 2328 times)

ausgard

Topic Starter

Starter

help with memory installation
    « on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
    I recently took out the memory of my computer, to see what kind of memory it had install, I reinserted it. But now once I start my computer despite the fact my monitor is turned on, the screen shows nothing. Any help would be appreciated

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: help with memory installation
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
    Any beeps?
    What model of computer is this?

Are there diagnostic lights on the back of the computer?

Did you check to make sure that all of your connections were put back properly?

Have you tried reseating the RAM? Just take it out, and carefully put it back in again. Read this first:
    http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm
    Antistatic warning.

Ryan Lalonde

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »
      You might have knocked the graphics card out of place, unless it's integrated.
      Other than that I don't see why removing RAM would cripple your display.
      Have you tried other monitors?

ausgard

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:15:30 PM »
        I've already tried reinserting the memory, and didn't work. I've done this on some computers, but they were all branded, though I don't see any specific correlation with this computer screen failing and the computer not being branded. I also tried disconecting all cables and conecting them again, changing the memory slot, trying a different monitor and none of this have worked.

ausgard

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
          The computers in which I tried had no problem at all. And I do believe to have heard a beep when starting the computer up.

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »
            It's most likely that you have them in the wrong slots possibly?  IF they are two different sizes, and if there is more than 2 slots, they have to be installed in matchin pairs.  Make sure that the sizes match each other in matching slots.  I have had the same thing happen when I was moving ram around in my dell.  Dels are usually picky about that.

ausgard

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
              I thank you all for your help, apparently the cable connected to the hard drive was not connected properly, and know that I think of it it does make sense, because I had to move it a bit in order to reinsert the memory slot. The following page (simple as it may be) was quite helpful, if at any time you run into memory installation problems:

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=links.tips

Trizle1

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:59:23 AM »
                Its really no BIG deal, you might have probably knocked off one or more of the components in ur motherboard. Try resiting the CPU, RAM, VGA. It shuld comeup. Only do this if you are familiar with Hardware components and ESD. Goodluck, Ovie aka Trizle