Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any VoIP calls are randomly disconnecting my entire computer.  (Read 2282 times)

k s c

Any VoIP calls are randomly disconnecting my entire computer.
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:54:37 AM »
Hey,

At any point during a call, my entire connection goes down for my PC (wireless node on a two computer network, through a router). It is back up within a few seconds. This only happens when I am using VoIP, and am in a call.

I have had the same telecom and ISP for two years, with excellant up-time.  My original PC, running XP, had zero problems with connectivity.

Two weeks ago, I installed a new PC and have started having problems.  The call I'm in, and anything else I am using (e.g - an online game / IE), will drop in connection for a brief moment.  This has occured anytime between 10mins and 2.5hours.

Here is a list of some things that I am using:

- Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
 - Intel. Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Mhz
 - 4096 MB  RAM
 - 768 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS
 - Netgear DG834G router
 - Belkin G wireless adapter
 - AVG Free anti-virus
 - Spybot (tea timer)
 - Windows messenger
 - Skype (and Skype beta)
 - World of Warcraft (and it's built-in VoIP)

NB: I live in N. Somerset, SW England.

Here is a list of things I have tried:

- Opened the ports that Skype / World of Warcraft requires in both incomming and outgoing traffic on my router
- Checked that Skype / Messenger are allowed through the Windows firewall
- Disabled Windows firewall
- Disabled Windows Defender
- Disabled AVG Free's resident scanning
- Disabled Spybot
- Disabled Windows' UAC
- Disabled automatic updates
- Updated to the latest GPU, Network and Ac'97 sound drivers
- Have Service pack 1 and all the (that are available on the MS site) updates installed
- Installed Skype to another directory other than 'programsx86' - I installed to a 'public' folder, where my World of Warcraft is also
- Given Skype Admin' rights (I am the computers admin', and sign-in as such)
- Changed various network settings, such as 'private' or 'public' etc
- Ran a registry clean
- Ran an anti-virus scan
- Ran a disc check
- Ran away, as fast I could!   :o

My Belkin wirless adapter is new; I used a Netgear one before, but have lost the drivers for it.  I also haven't upgraded the router's firmware yet.  Other than that, I have no idea what to do, and it is very disheartening.

Help is very, very much appreciated.  :'(