Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: kernel zip file?  (Read 2993 times)

helper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    kernel zip file?
    « on: January 04, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
    Does anybody know of, or would be willing to create me, a set of software for windows to create a kernel?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: kernel zip file?
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »
    If you want to play with Kernels I'd play with Linux. As for creating a Kernel with a software for Windows, you will find yourself using a package like Borland or MS C++ and if creating from scratch you will need LOTS of help. Its easier to modify the wheel then to reinvent it in the case of kernels, and Linux lets you do that without any worry about legality. Bill Gates doesnt like any competition / clones of his software and operating systems, so trying to reinvent Windows or DOS would be a lost cause and up hill legality battle. Closest Kernel yet to touch on MS territory that I know of is FREEDOS, and the only reason why this is not a major issue for MS is only because they havent created a FREEWINDOWS.

If you want to make your own kernel I would learn C++ and Assembly Language.

As for myself I tweaked Linux Kernels with friends back in college and that was cool, but we were only able to make the slightest of modifications without breaking it. A kernel is a very sensitive object!

helper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:17:59 AM »
      Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if there was, like, a kernel IDE or something. By the way, anybody, dosent video memory start at b8000?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
      a kernel IDE

anything from drivers down isn't possible to debug on the fly, unless you use remote debugging.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.