Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe 6.0 not saving data in forms  (Read 4581 times)

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Adobe 6.0 not saving data in forms
    « on: January 03, 2009, 02:23:42 AM »
    Hello forum: I frequently download IRS and other sites'  fill-in forms into my documents and then fill in the forms and then print them. In the past when I went back into the form at a later date the previously entered info was still in the form.  Always.  Now, when I go back to the form it is always blank. Even if I ' save ' a copy of a filled in form with all the fields populated, it is always blank. I can see the info just blink off and the form goes blank when I go back into the form and look at it. Right now all of the pdf. forms in my Documents have no info in any fields even though I have filled them out in the past. I am using WIN XP SP2, IE 6, Adobe Reader 6.0 with the last Reader update 6.06. I have asked around  looking for others having the same experience and everyone says that they never could save info in the filled in forms . But in the past I always could . Did something change or is there a setting that I can reset to correct this? This is the first time in 5 years with this computer (Dell Dimension 2400) that this has occurred.  Thanks.
    Bill

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Adobe 6.0 not saving data in forms
      « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
      Typically, you need the full version of Acrobat (or an alternative PDF editing program) in order to edit a PDF in some way.  Reader's not enough.

If you were able to do it in the past, then it's because you also have a version of Acrobat AND Reader 6 on your computer at the same time.  When Reader was updated, it took over as the default program for opening PDF files. 

Open up Acrobat or whatever program you have for editing PDFs, open the IRS form, and try that way.

Alternatively, you could uninstall Adobe Reader 6 and try opening your PDF.  Best case scenaro, if you do have Acrobat, then it will automatically open your PDF.  Worst case scenario, the PDF won't open at all and you'll have to reinstall Adobe Reader (download from Adobe's site...latest version is 9.0), Adobe Acrobat (install from any discs you may have if you purchased it in the past), or whatever PDF editor you may have.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
      How are you saving the files ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
        « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
        Thanks for responses to my post. Adobe 6.0 came with the computer. I just went with the updates. I tried to install 7.0 more than once but got an error message. Could not install. I gave up since 6.06 was working OK. I think 7.0 failed to install properly because I had not uninstalled 6.06 first.   I need Adobe more than ever now since I do a lot of tax forms on the computer and then print them. Kind of wary about uninstalling 6.06 and not be able to install 7.0. I looked for Acrobat in Programs. Lots in there under Adobe. Not sure what is what except for Reader which I opened and closed there. If I find Acrobat ,can I open it similar to opening Reader or does Reader have to be uninstalled to force the computer to use Acrobat by default?  (Right now I am getting a huge headache)  Also, after I fill in form, I try to save it by clicking on File( in Adobe) and then on Save a Copy. In the past I could save the filled in forms with all info intact and still keep the blank. Now, the copy is also blank.
                                            Thanks for the help.
        Bill

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
        First, a key point needs to be clarified here.  Adobe Acrobat is not merely a PDF reader, it's a PDF creation, or PDF publishing, tool, and it's rather expensive software.  I'm sure you're *not* interested in spending hundreds of $ to get it.

You are correct in thinking you should be able to fill-in some tax forms when viewed in Adobe Reader and save the form with the data you have entered.  But, this depends on the form.  Some tax forms will let you fill-in blanks but will not let you save those changes. 

So, let's take a specific form for discussion. Let's use the 2008 U.S. Form 1040.  You can get it at http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/lists/0,,id=97817,00.html.  If I open that form in Adobe Reader 8, I can fill in the blanks and can also save those changes.  Can you do the same?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
        Soybean is it possible he's opening the failed install of Adobe 7 and it's not saving properly ? ?
        Just a thought.
        Maybe a leftover icon...

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »
        Yes, I think that's possible. It's hard to tell because he did not provide much detail on exactly what happened when he tried installing 7.0.  Hopefully, the OP will be back for a continuation of this discussion.

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
          « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
          Thanks guys for your feedback. Was gone all day and just got back and read your posts. I don't think it is a failed 7.0 install because when Adobe Reader kicks in it shows as 6.06 on the startup. I presumed that 7.0 never did install correctly since I did not uninstall 6.06 first. Right now I am hesitant to uninstall 6.06 since it is supposed to be hard to find and download in the event that I may not be able to install 7.0.(Anxiety). When I tried to update to 7.0 before(3X) I kept getting an error message after it had downloaded that due to a file error the installation failed. I presume that was because I did not uninstall 6.06. Possible? I do understand that the document creator can prevent saving info on their forms, but I did not think the Feds did that. I have downloaded most IRS forms including the common 1040. It is now in my documents. I can fill it in and immediately print the populated form but if I close it OR try so save a copy , it immediately clears the form. So for now, I am filling in the forms and printing them immediately. It's a hassle since I may need to change some of the info on the form and must start from scratch. I tried Foxit 3.1 and it has improved greatly over their first program 1.1. But I did have trouble putting check marks in the little boxes on the IRS forms. Everything worked fine except putting in a check mark. And with Foxit I COULD save the populated form. Amazing. But again , thanks for the feedback.
          Bill

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:49 AM »
          When saving it are you giving it a unique file name ? ?
          Also check the drop down box for the proper extension as well.
          I'm puzzled.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:14 AM »
          No problem here putting check marks in the little boxes on the IRS forms. 

My inclination is to advise you to uninstall Adobe Reader 6.06, download and install CCleaner and then run its Windows scan and its Registry scan, and then download and install Reader 8.1.3.  Forget about Adobe Reader 7.0.  If you, indeed, need version 6 again, you could get it at http://www.oldapps.com/acrobat_reader.htm.  I suggest you get Reader 8.1.3 at http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

To get CCleaner, go to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds and download the Slim version. It's the same as the standard build, minus the foreign language pack and the Yahoo toolbar.  CCleaner is free; no donation required.

bill30955

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Always Learning
            « Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
            Thanks for replies. Before, when I had a blank IRS fill-in form in my Documents I would go into Docs and fill out the form. And then ,when I wanted to exit , the program would ask me if I wanted to 'Save the changes'. I would answer 'yes' and then when I re-opened the doc. all the information was still there. No more. When re-opened ,the doc is blank  Also, before this I could open a new folder in my docs for a specific person and save  a completed form in there. No more. Everything saved is a blank document. At this point , I agree that I should uninstall 6.06 and install the newer version. Every time I open Adobe(when online)I am prompted to upgrade to 7.0. That is why I mentioned it before. I guess if I had 7.0 they would prompt me to upgrade to 8.0. I have not upgraded because I was content using 6.06. It worked for my basic purposes and I do not need 3D, bells and whistles , etc.
            Must I uninstall 6.06 before installing a newer version.?  Doesn't  the new version uninstall the older version? I already have CCleaner and use it regularly.  Thanks again for your feedback.
            Bill

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
              Typically, newer versions of Adobe Reader will uninstall older versions.

9.0.0 is the latest version.
              8.1.3 is the second latest.
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
              Must I uninstall 6.06 before installing a newer version.?  Doesn't  the new version uninstall the older version? I already have CCleaner and use it regularly. 
              As far as I know, as killerb255 said, "newer versions of Adobe Reader will uninstall older versions."  But, you've tried that and it hasn't worked.  Therefore, another approach is needed. 

The fact that you regularly use CCleaner does not address the procedure I recommended, that is, the sequence I mentioned.

... uninstall Adobe Reader 6.06, download and install CCleaner and then run its Windows scan and its Registry scan, and then download and install Reader ...
              To reiterate:
              1) disable your anti-virus program
              2) uninstall Adobe Reader 6
              3) run CCleaner (be sure to include the Registry scan; repeat it since additional items sometimes appear upon repeat scans.
              4) install a newer version of Adobe Reader

Forget about Adobe Reader 7.0. 
              Actually, if you want to install version 7, I think that's OK.  As I recall, I liked that version fine, but I also like version 8.  I don't recall why I updated to 8, perhaps just because Adobe was prompting me to upgrade.

If you still are not able to get Adobe Reader to install, I will suggest another registry cleaner.  Here, in the forum, we're cautious about advising people to use registry cleaners, since the more aggressive ones can cause problems.  But, if you Reader still won't install after the above procedure, I think the problem is that your registry still contains remnants of the previously install Reader.  Thus, a more aggressive registry cleaner may be helpful. 

If you try this above procedure and get an error message upon attempting to install the newer version, please post a detailed description of what happened.