Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple identical CD drive failures  (Read 2269 times)

Bob V

Multiple identical CD drive failures
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
I recently bought a used CD drive for my daughters laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505 bought 2006).  She had broken the tray on the original some time ago and I needed to reinstall the operating system (bad virus).  The CD drive I bought was the same model as originally in the computer (Lite-on SOSW-852S).  The replacement drive worked long enough to get the OS installed and updated and I was adding applications when the drive failed.  It just squeaked repeatedly when a disk was inserted and would not read.  I located and installed the latest Lite-on driver from the Internet, but it didn't help.  To finish the install, I borrowed a CD drive from my son's laptop, which worked.  I contacted the supplier who sold me the drive, gave them the story and they sent me a second used drive, same model.  This drive also worked at first.  I was able to install several programs, play a DVD, burn a CD and burn a DVD.  My daughter was then burning a collection of music CDs when this second drive failed in exactly the same way as the first. 
Before I go back to the supplier to tell them that a second drive has failed, I'd like to know: Is possible that my daughter's laptop is killing these drives, or have I just had bad luck?  What is more likely?  Also, is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot the drive?  I have a fresh OS install (XP), all MS updates, and the latest Lite-on driver.
Would appreciate any guidance you can offer!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Multiple identical CD drive failures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »
I'd say bad luck, or bad model.
Especially, since it was a used one.