Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two problems (Windows Vista)  (Read 2509 times)

Sc1577

Two problems (Windows Vista)
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
Hello,

I am having two problems with my computer:

Here are my specs:

HP Pavilion M9040N

Windows Vista Premium Home Edition

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz

Physical Memory : 3.0 GB

Problem #1:

My computer (HP Pavillion M9040N) has Windows Vista Premium Home Edition. Everything is very fast on it except for one thing.......When I try to install programs.....it is extremely slow....Sometimes installation will begin and then pause for like 5 or 6 hours and then finish it. Other times, the computer takes 3 hours just to start the installation. Every game that I try to install takes at leas 6 - 8 hours to install, but yet when I try them on my old Dell computer, it installs within 10 - 15 minutes.
I often have to let the installations run over night. I just defragged my drives and even freed up plenty of hard disk space. This problem happens whether I install programs from a CD/DVD ROM disk or from the internet.  Downloads are very quick....Installations are terrible slow.

Problem #2:

When I "RESTART" my computer or the computer restarts automatical after a Windows update, the monitor shuts down but the tower remains on. I manually shut the computer down and then try to turn it on again but the monitor is still blank. So, I opened my tower and "pushed" in the video card....and then it works! I have to do this each time to make my computer boot up. This problem does not happen when I "Shut Down" the computer....only when I Restart. The video card doesn't seem to be lose but touching it makes it work.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Two problems (Windows Vista)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
1. Remove video card, clean connectors with pencil eraser. Put it back.
2. Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.uploadbigfiles.net/, and post download link.