Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No boot up-- Computer Problems  (Read 2246 times)

neonlime

No boot up-- Computer Problems
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
---Computer specs---
Motherboard: Evga 680i SLI
CPU: Intel Duo 2.4gHz
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 1 tera
Graphic: 2x Evga 9600GT

*EVERYTHING WORKED FINE BEFORE MY SCHOOL BREAK.  I SHUT DOWN PROPERLY ALSO. *

I recently just got back to school to find that my desktop doesn't boot up.  I left it in my dorm room with it plugged into my surge protector. It was turned off.  I tried to boot it up and the monitor doesn't get signal nor my keyboard or mouse.   

I let it sit for a while to listen to the drives.  They all seem to power on, but sound like they are caught in a loop. The LED output on the motherboard reads "--" which I am unsure what it means.  It is suppose to read "FF" meaning boot, so I believe there is a problem.

I have reset the BIOS and also tested the monitor. Neither fix the problem. 

Is it possible the motherboard broke or that the CPU burnt out?  It could also be a virus doing this, I not ruling that out.  At this point I am OK with completely resetting everything if that would fix the problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No boot up-- Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »
Ok this isn't really a solution but I have had my motherboard do that too, the drives re-initialize over and over, as well as the DVD drive.

I just had to reseat everything and it was ok, so unplug all your DVD/HD's and also reseat your graphics cards and any other PCI/PCI-e cards, also the PSU plugs (don't forget the 4pin connector) and try to boot without the drives plugged in again

if it boots after that, add one component at a time.

Is it possible the motherboard broke

Yes, residual charge could have broken capacitors, but this is like finding a living organism sealed in concrete after spending 1000 years underground.

or that the CPU burnt out?

Not unless it was used while you were away  ;)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: No boot up-- Computer Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »
I was going to ask...who had access to the Dorm while you were away ? ?
Not that they're going to admit anything...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "