Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fingerprint Reader Issue!  (Read 3942 times)

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Fingerprint Reader Issue!
    « on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
    OK here we go....... i have a dell studio 1735, windows vista ultimate 32bit edition, it has a biometric fingerprint reader and the moment i got the laptop, it doesn't work, i have installed the latest updates from the dell website using my service tag number: FXKWV3J  I've checked internally to see if the driver is connected into the motherboard, and yes it was connected, so no problem there, I've checked device manager, even through driver agent to see if there were any unknown drivers, none at all, plus the driver is clearly installed "Authentec" and shows it is working correctly, one other thing is that  i need to know is if there is like something in services that is stopping the biometric fingerprint reader from working.

Please if you can provide me with all the right drivers and software needed to actually make the biometric fingerprint reader work!
    Thanks!

Sharpe89

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Fingerprint Reader Issue!
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:00:08 AM »
    I'm not so familiar with fingerprint readers, but how did you determine it's not working?

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:01:59 AM »
      well once i first got the laptop, it wz refurbished (bad idea). no drivers were installed so i went to the dell website, typed in my service tag number and installed all updates in their correct order according to dell. at this time time i didnt determine any devices wouldn't work so i installed all that was needed. However after installing the latest driver for the fingerprint reader, and restarting the computer, i saw in device manager that it was installed correctly and working properly, so no problems there. Then i installed the digitalpersona Personal software that it is used by default for the fingerprint reader. Once installed i restarted the computer, and then an extra user icon appeared on the logon screen for the fingerprint reader. The message said "Fingerprint reader not detected". Again i checked if it was installed in device manager, no problesm there. Onced i saw that message thats were all this searching for a solution started. I've been on forums for ages looking for a solution. I really couldnt be bothered goin to the bother of paying to get it fixed cz i want to see if i can do it myself, or well ya with the help of someone. lol.

sharpe89!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:00:13 AM »
        hey patio i tried out that link. The second site in google offered me to install the MS fingerprint reader software. Installed it and then restarted computer. Once the computer restarted the installation came up again saying that to finish the installation, connect the fingerprint reader. Nothing happened and then a window came up saying "Please connect the fingerprint reader in order to complete the installation". This is such a weird problem. I've never came across this problem with any other device.

Anyone any ideas?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
        Any leads at the Dell site ? ?
        Dell's like their own drivers.

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:09 AM »
          wat ya mean by leads???

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
          Ideas...information...drivers...similia r issues with others on the Dell Forums ? ?

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:08 AM »
            nah seems that everyone has had there's working before and then an issue has arose. most people on the forums solve the problems by updating their driver. i jus seem to have a fingerprint reader that wont work no matter wat driver or software is installed. I'm hoping to get someone to help me through windows remote assistances. its definitely not an internal problem as i have checked the connector for the fingerprint reader under th palmrest. i'm thinkin it could be like a hidden service or sumfin in the registry that is makin vista not accept that the driver is available, i dont know! could it be a bug? or wat bout the version of vista i have. see i've reinstalled my os to get a clean start of installing everything and that didnt help! very confusing and frustrating.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:52 AM »
            Call an authorised Dell service center in your area and ask if it can be disabled completely...

They sure sound like cool devices but i wouldn't have one at all.

sharpe89

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »
              patio i've tried ringin dell 3 TIMES and i've been put on hold for nearly 30mins. I'm not goina ring them again i tell ya. Wasters they are!

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
              Not Dell corporate...look for Authorised LOCAL service centers in your area.