Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU heat sink clean  (Read 6712 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: CPU heat sink clean
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
Hahaha -  :o  ;D  ;D

I almost expected you were maybe gonna suggest a small charge of C4 LOL.

Well - I guess the water treatment is ''different''!!!  :)  Think I'll stick to compressed air.

BTW - the hose has a leak part ways along.!

Where was that anyways?  Some vacation spot?
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »
The reason i can't say is i was using someone else's water which you can see in the photo...
And i did quite a few machines that day.
I don't think they were happy... ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcjoseph1974

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
    Thats an awfully big hose for such a small trickle of water......

I had someone tell me once that you could clean computer hardware that way but I did'nt believe them..... now I'm a believer.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
    You can seriously damage the sockets pulling them like that :) not to mention yourself when it lets go and gets you in the face  ;)

This brings back many memories... Simply yanking them off CAN work with LGA775 sockets, the CPU is clamped in there to prevent getting yanked off. Though, I have hit myself in the face a few times trying this... Oh, saw my former employer hit himself in the face in late 06 when he yanked a LGA775 heatsink off that had baked on ceramic based thermal paste. He fell clean over and the heatsink went flying across the shop! It nearly clobbered a customer too! Man, that was hilarious, it even caused a domino effect with all the ATI GPU's he had stuck on the shelf behind the counter when it hit one. Rube Goldberg by accident I guess? But yeah, funny none the less.

On a side note, I once gave myself a black eye trying to remove a heatsink from the northbridge on a dead motherboard... The thermal paste was like super glue... And the chipset came off with it... It may have been adhesive. I dunno, do know a razor blade and some rubbing alcohol broke the northbridge loose of the heatsink. The boss came in and said in his Korean accent and said "What you do?" when he saw me prying the northbridge chip loose of the heatsink. I replied "You told me to pull off the heatsink, the northbridge came off with it.". He, as usual, just stated the obvious "Oh, you just pull to hard!".

Anyway, yeah, I agree with patio. Warming it helps a load, warm, remove brackets, twist, not too hard though, just carefully back and fourth and it'll come off. Don't end up giving yourself a black eye or nearly braining someone with a heatsink ;D

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:11 PM »
    Oh, saw my former employer hit himself in the face in late 06 when he yanked a LGA775 heatsink off that had baked on ceramic based thermal paste.

What is this stuff anyway? It was on my Radeon 9700 Pro, when I tried to remove the stock cooler, fan was broken) I had to twist this off, and it was bonded with some kind of hard, ceramic material, and was all up the sides or the GPU and everywhere, had to literally pry it off...

Is it some kind of mental thermal paste that hardens when the GPU bakes it or what?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
    Not sure, they have various type's, the white is usually ceramic or silicone based, silver stuff is usually synthetic silver and silicone. Whatever it is, it is devious, it seems to be out to wreck your hardware and or day.

I personally recommend Arctic Silver 5. It sticks a lil, but not too bad, don't take much either. I got a tube somewhere.. It *censored* sure doesn't stick at a self-face-ownage level that the other crap does.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 02:38:02 AM »
    "Ceramic" paste is often used on graphics cards, to hold the heatsink on as there might not be any clips, or the clips may not be designed to hold the full weight of the cooling assembly.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »
    Calum, you forgot that annoying thermal tape they use. Not 3M grade thermal tape (thankfully), but still uber sticky. My 7600GT had that stuff on it, it was a PITA to remove from the RAM on the GPU when I upgraded the heatsink on it.

I've seen thermal tape used in other applications, sometimes on laptop CPU's, though they seem to prefer ceramic or silicone for laptops. Speaking of which, I need to clean out the heatsink in my laptop soon. That's a real pain, I have to pull it clear apart, LCD panel has to be removed. I think I'll wait 'till the audio ports need re-soldering again. The audio ports are held on by nothing but solder and an external aluminum jacket, which, is also soldered on. They don't stay in place well, I'm looking for some way to make them stay in place. I have problems with the headphone 1/8" jack coming loose from the daughter board it and the mic in port are soldered to.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »
    Thermal tape's often used, yes, usually on the graphics memory rather than the core but it can be used on both.
    In laptops, I've always seen a thermal pad, rather than tape or paste - barring one memorable incident with a Packard Bell, where it looked like they'd used an entire tube of low quality paste for the CPU.
    Replacing those pads sure does help a lot with temperatures.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    « Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
    The audio ports are held on by nothing but solder and an external aluminum jacket, which, is also soldered on.

Hate it when they cheat like that - sounds like a job for a small dab of cynaoacrilate!

Dead_reckon

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »
    Of what? I never took chemistry in high school... Probably a good thing, I get devious when people annoy me... Last thing you'd want is me knowing how to turn someone's soda they make me fetch into a volcano ;D

Anyway, quick google revealed Cyanoacrylate to be what I thoguht it was, Uber Glue ;D . Personally, I don't like messing with super glue, the tube always seems to split resulting in half my fingers being glued together before I even realize I got glue on them. I'm like my dad, I could nearly loose a finger and not realize it until I saw the blood spurting everywhere.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    « Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
    Oops - I even mis spelled it.!   ::)

Yes Super Glue but worth noting here re what you refer too - that satanic small tube that leaks everywhere ........ not the type to use.

As I have larger containers of the stuff for RC airplanes .... I also have a choice of thin, medium and thick.  The thicker (gap filling) type is what you need ... it is controllable and does a good job.  Cures slower but can be helped by a squirt of accelerator.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
    Alright, I'll have to look into that. Might fix the issue with my Zenith Concierge too. Its audio out port comes loose causing the speaker in it to randomly pop on and off. Probably not good for the amplifier in the TV. Got the TV from my grandma, she got it from the Hotel Roanoke when they where selling off all there old TV's in 2005. *censored*, they put a brand new samsung tube in the TV just before they sold it. Why? Who knows, or cares? Practically a new TV when I got it in 05, even though the TV its self was six years old, the tube was brand new.

Its one of those Zenith TV's with the SuperPort's, it has this flat ribbon cable that goes from the TV's motherboard to the supercard cable tuner. If its plugged in, the TV goes into a sortof Hotel Mode, you can't even access the menu. It even has a dialup modem built in for connecting to the hotel's network. This, was of course, used up until 2005 when I'm guessing the upgraded the whole hotel to a ethernet network. Anyway, the cable was still plugged in when I got it, did some research, pulled out the super card and the port cover next to it, yanked the cable loose, put the super card back in, hooked the cable back up, plugged in the TV, bam, instant "TV Installer Mode". I've got quite a bit of odd hardware around like my TV, oh, the TV has a empty port where I believe some sort of Nintendo plugged in so it was "Built in" to the TV. 'Cause there's this oval thing ontop of the TV with Nintendo in it, it also says LodgeNet, which is a hotel networking service for TV's. The TV's construction hints that it was meant to be repaired easily. The motherboard is on an EZ tray, tool-less removal assuming you've gotten it apart using tools. The tube is also industrial grade, so, I'm expecting this TV to last many years with the way I scarcely use it.