Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Permanently remove Realtec RTL8139 Ethernet driver  (Read 4343 times)

MeekAndHumble

Topic Starter

Permanently remove Realtec RTL8139 Ethernet driver
    « on: January 05, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
    I loaded this driver by mistake and now I can't get rid of it.  I tried deleting it, removing it but good Ole' Windows finds it at startup and replants it.  I then have to go into Device Manager and disable it so my real network card can function. Realtec is not physically present and my network card is a Linksys NC100.  According to Reverend Google, quite a few other folks are having similar problems.  I would appreciate a fix that will wipe out all of Realtec, including an informational plug at startup time.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Permanently remove Realtec RTL8139 Ethernet driver
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
    You might have to regedit and remove this pointer for that NIC device from registry.

Have you tried disabiling the network adapter.
    Removing the Realtek driver.
    Reboot system with network adapter disabled, then enable the adapter.
    Then point the driver for the NIC to the correct driver.
    Then reboot the system to see if it will no longer associate with Realtek driver?

MeekAndHumble

Topic Starter

Re: Permanently remove Realtec RTL8139 Ethernet driver
      « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
      I have disabled the Realtec adapter and rebooted with no error messages except the disabled indicator in Device Manager and the Realtec informational message at boot time.
      I have removed the driver but Windows reinstalls it at reboot time.
      I do not have experience in the use of regedit and suspect I will have trouble finding the right entries.
      I appreciate your help thus far.  If you can provide more detailed help on moving the pointer in the registry, I would certainly appreciate it.