Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 1.1 vs USB 2 and iPods  (Read 2249 times)

hosanna

Topic Starter

Starter

USB 1.1 vs USB 2 and iPods
    « on: January 05, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »
    My computer is about 5 years old and what has what i am assuming is a usb 1.1 port.  The port will not recognize my ipod and will not sync or download itunes.  The ipod works on other computers, so i am afraid my usb is a 1.1 instead of the required usb 2.  Could this be the problem?

Can you buy an adapter to adapt from 1.1 to 2 or am i just totally out of luck?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB 1.1 vs USB 2 and iPods
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
    If a desktop computer you can buy a PCI USB 2.0 adapter ( usually 2 or 4 ports ), if a laptop you can buy a PCMCIA to USB 2.0 adapter ( usually 1 or 2 ports ).

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: USB 1.1 vs USB 2 and iPods
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
    One way to tell whether you have any USB 2.0 ports: go to Device Manager and expand the section for Universal Serial Bus controllers. If your system has USB 2.0, you should see one or two items there with the words "Enhanced Host Controller".  If none of them show that, then you only have USB 1.1.

If this is the case, don't worry, there's still a solution.  Get a PCI USB card and install it in a PCI slot in your computer to add some USB 2.0 ports at the back of your computer.  Here are usb 2 cards sold be newegg.com.  I bought the Rosewill model RC-100 shown there for a computer that has an older motherboard. That card only adds two ports on back so you may want one of the ones that provides 4 ports on back, such as the  SYBA PCI USB 2.0 4+1 shared port controller card Model SD-VIA-5U - Retail shown on the same page. 

The Rosewill card, on the other hand, has pins that can be used to connect the wiring of front ports to.  By doing that, I converted two front ports from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0, by disconnecting wires from the motherboard and connecting them to the card.

If you go with a card that provides 4 ports on back, you might want to get one or two extension cables; just run them around to the front (lay them on the floor or whatever).  Here's a 6 ft. cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119004  Other lengths (3 ft, 10 ft., etc.) are available.