Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what commands to get access to files  (Read 3634 times)

jin88

Topic Starter

what commands to get access to files
    « on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
    hey guys, im kinda noob with DOS and almost never used this, and got a question...

I have added some files on the desktop of my windows 2003 server and I need acces to it to make a back up of it. I need to use the Windows XP client. What commands are needed to get acces to this file and copy them?

I used network bootdisks and after I restarted I got into the DOS.

Kind regards,
    R.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: what commands to get access to files
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
    You will need to first create a user/password and share at the server 2003 side. Then from the Windows XP side you can create a map to the share using NET USE (available drive letter ) and then server share name hidden with $ & user\password. You then should be able to xcopy *.* ( copy all contents files and folders from that shared location to a designated area on your Windows XP machine always updating the data upon execution with the latest files ) And you will need to create a folder like Backup on your C: drive of the XP system as the bucket to drop these xcopied files and folders to,  such as.

NET USE Z:  \\your2003server\sharename$ /user:ValidUserName Password

XCOPY Z:\*.* C:\backup\*.* /s/d/y

NET USE Z: /delete

I would chose a location to store this data other than desktop and create a share there that the XP system can get to. Also note that this batch is an unsecured way of doing this, and a more secured way to do this would be to compile that batch .Bat as an .Exe to hide the user name and password from any users at that system who dont know how to use exe decompiler to view credentials.

Another way to go about the backup you want is to run it from the Server 2003 side and add it as a scheduled task to trigger the backup to the XP systems C: drive at a shared location there.

jin88

Topic Starter

Re: what commands to get access to files
      « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
      Thanks for your quick reply, I will try this asap.